1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound card woes... problems with resources? Please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hibiki, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Recently my sound card crapped out on me and will not work (I suspect it might have been caused when I installed a new webcam). When I try to run mp3s from WinAmp, it tells me that there is no audio devices found. If I swith between the Output plug-ins in the Preferences, I can get some mp3s to seem like they play, but I get no sound. (Back when it used to work, I had to tinker with the settings in Volume Control for the sound to go through my speakers--weird, though I don't know why this happened).

In the Device Manager, my card is listed but with the yellow warning mark on it. Supposedly it is a "Sound Blaster Pro or compatible." In Properties/General, it tells me under the status: "Windows could not identify all the resources this device uses (Code 16.)

To specify additional resources for this device, click the Resources tab and fill in the missing settings. Check your hardware documentation to find out what settings to use."

Now, I tried removing it and reinstalling a few times but the problem remains. My mp3s won't even load with Winamp (with waveOut output), though they will load with WMP 7. The track runs, but there is no sound, and no Volume Controls to access (they don't load.) Can anyone please tell me what is going on? I don't want to go and shell out $30 for a new sound card, I can't afford it...any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Winamp also directed me to http://www.geocities.com/mmsystem002/, maybe someone can see if the fixes on here would be the solution to my problem? Thanks.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Hibiki, Welcome to TSG !!
    [​IMG]
    What OS are you running ?
    Do you have a CD with the card?
    Do you have onboard sound? ( Must disable)
    Go to sound cards manufacturers site. Download latest driver. When you get the file. Remove card in device manager. Reboot, when windows finds it select diplay list of drivers. Select have disk. Navigate to where you put new driver. Select it.

3. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Hi, thanks.

I'm running Win98. No CD with the card. Pretty sure the onboard sound is disabled (unless it turned on by itself somehow?). I'm actually not sure what kind of card it is, besides the "Sound Blaster Pro or compatible" name on the device manager list.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Try what i suggested by removing the card in device manager. Right click it and select uninstall or remove. Then reboot.

5. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

I have done this several times. I get the same yellow icon on the device and the same message about resources. :(

6. mtbird

mtbird

Can we take a look at your IRQ's......go to start>run. Type in msinfo32. Click on hardware resources>IRQ's. Click edit>select all, then edit>copy. Paste the info into your reply.

Debe

7. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Here:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Lucent Win Modem #2
    5 Sound Blaster Pro or compatible
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Adaptec AHA-150X/1510/152X/AIC-6X60 SCSI Host Adapter
    11 Trident Blade3D/MVP4 AGP (v6.50.5482-3)
    11 OPTi 82C861 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try removing the sound card entry from the device manager.....DO NOT restart. Go to add new hardware......don't allow windows to find drivers....point the installation of the drivers to the driver cdrom.

9. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Aca, I don't think it's supposed to, put during the process of adding new hardware, it didn't ask me to select drivers.

By going through the update driver setting, I can select it from a CD but like I said, I don't have the CD and I am not even sure what sound card it is. Any hope for fixing this? Thanks for the help so far guys!

10. ~Candy~

You are missing something in the add new hardware sequence then......do NOT allow Windows to find the device....you select it from the drop down box, then say you have the driver disk.......sounds like you are allowing Windows to go too far.

11. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Okay, well I did what you told me and it looks like it fixed PART of it. It told me that it would be restored to factory resource settings.

But there is still a conflict. Now it says, "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10.)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

I click Update Drivers and it takes me through the process, and afterwards the conflict/driver message is still there. To my recollection, all the drivers were on my hard drive so I don't know why it's not able to locate all of them now. :( Any ideas anyone?

12. ~Candy~

Do NOT rely on the drivers on your hard drive........PLEASE point it to the installation cdrom that came with the sound card......please.....just for me ;)

Oops, ok......I just re-read and you don't have a driver cd......can we get to the website and download the drivers then?

Did the soundcard come with the computer? Name brand computer?

13. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Not sure. All I know about this sound card is that it is a "Sound Blaster Pro or compatible" (and this is what the PC is telling me). I think I got it from a friend a long time ago and he didn't really know what it was either...I don't really remember though. I'll open up the case and take it out, maybe the model will be on there...

14. ~Candy~

Yes, good idea ;)

15. Hibiki

Hibiki Thread Starter

Okay, well...I guess I had got confused. It's not a stand-alone sound card, it's on-board sound. A friend gave me his soundcard once so I guess I thought I put it in but apparently didn't. Anyway, I still have not figured out what kind it is exactly, but I did get some numbers and stuff from the motherboard... maybe someone could figure it out from this? I don't have the manual of the mobo.

VIA VT8501
    VIA VT82C686A
    5MVP4 VER:1.0

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice