1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Card ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cheryl, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I have a question - I am using a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop computer and just love it. I am running Windows XP home - and Internet Explorer 6.

Here's the problem. When I want to "chat" on AOL I.M. through our built-in microphone, both my Mom and Daughter can hear me very well. The problem is that I cannot hear them. We purchased a microphone for my Mom and she has it hooked up to her desktop. She said that she heard that maybe because we can't hear her is because I don't have a sound card in my laptop.

Does this sound right and if so - how do I check to see if I do have a sound card. I would think that if they can hear me 1200 miles away via the computer - I would have a sound card. That doesn't explain why I can't hear them.

Please help!

Cheryl

2. mobo

mobo

Does windows have any sounds like startup and explorer etc ?

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Yes - when you turn on the computer you hear sounds......I can even play CD's on my computer and listen to the radio. That is why I was surprised to hear someone tell my Mom that I couldn't hear her talking to me because of MY computer.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It sounds more like her computer. She might have the Mic muted - have her check her Volume/Recording settings in the Control Panel.

5. mobo

mobo

Agreed. it sounds like the other pc totally....You have sound and can transmit sound .

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Thank you......

I'll have her check her computer. I just checked my control panel and I have my mic muted. I wonder how they can still hear me. That sure is strange. I do turn it down because I will get an echo when I talk - and it drives me nuts.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's (atleast) two mutes for the MIC - one in Playback, one in Recording Volume Control.

The Recording mute must not be disabled or it won't work, the Playback MIC can be mute - this only stops the MIC input from being outputed thru your speakers.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

On the Recording mute - they don't give me the option to "mute". Isn't that interesting?

9. gdiwwebs

gdiwwebs

ok, Start< Programs< Accesories< (Might be under entertainment, or just might be listed, check them all) Volume Settings. If you find that, go to file at the top, and check advanced settings, if it already isn't. Then you should see your microphone listed in those settings, should be near the end. Check to see if it's muted. If it is, there's your solution. However, it may cause some backfire through your speakers. you might be able to hear yourself come in through your own speakers, but your microphone should surely be working. If not, have your family download Roger Wilco or Team Speak And do your configuration settings and learn how to use that. I suggest Team Speak beacuse it sounds better, but if you can't get your own channel up, use roger wilco.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!