sound card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ice_37ca

I'm having a problem I can't figure out on my own. some how our sound is not working and it bothers me. When I boot up I get a message on a black screen that goes by very fast it reads: Advanced Logic Inc. Hardware Detection Failure cannot find advanced sound chip. I have no volume control or sound. I would greatly appreciate if someone could E-Mail me the steps to reinstall the sound card or chip what ever it may be. I'm new at this computer and simple english would be sufficient. thank you.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi ice_37ca, welcome to TSG....

Did this just start to happen? Has the sound worked in the past?

You may have to open the computer to see if the sound card has wiggled loose.

ice_37ca

Hi AcaCandy

Well I Checked the sound card and it is not loose. It was working in the past it doesn't even show up in Device Manager. How do I Reinstall it there. I was told to remove it from Device Manager and the system would detect the hardware and reinstall it but how do you do that if it is not even there? I don't know if this means anything but my volume control will not go up on my keyboard It stays at 0. Thanks I'll be waiting for your response.

ice_37ca.

ice_37ca

Hi AcaCandy

Well I Checked the sound card and it is not loose. It was working in the past it doesn't even show up in Device Manager. How do I Reinstall it there. I was told to remove it from Device Manager and the system would detect the hardware and reinstall it but how do you do that if it is not even there? I don't know if this means anything but my volume control will not go up on my keyboard It stays at 0. Thanks I'll be waiting for your response.

ice_37ca.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Why don't you try adding new hardware and see what's detected?

I have the same problem as ice. I tried adding new hardware, but it says it doesn't detect any new ones. What do I do next?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi backup808, you are probably going to have to open the computer up, make sure the sound card hasn't wiggled loose and try to start windows again......what version of windows are you running?

If that doesn't work, you'll need to get some info either on the motherboard, if you have built in sound, or the sound card itself....

Do you by chance have the cdrom that came with your computer and/or motherboard or sound card, if purchased separately?

I'm running a windows 98. I opened my computer and I don't know which is the sound card. Is it in the PCI slots or is it built in? How can I tell? And I don't have the cdrom because it wasn't purchased separatly. How do I get info on my motherboard?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Take a look to see where you have your speakers plugged into, is it a full size card in one of the PCI slots? or is it a smaller card plugged directly into the motherboard further away from the normal pci slots?

If it's a normal card, look at it for company name, chip names like SIS and some numbers, Trident, S3, etc. Also look at the motherboard itself for identifying names.

When the computer is starting up, is anything displayed there that resembles any helpful information? The AMIbios or award number strings can be useful in identifying motherboards.

If there's numbers, go here and look them up:

http://www.wimsbios.com/

Ice, you still with us? Any progress on your problem?

ice_37ca

Hi AcaCandy

I'm stilltrying to figure this problem out. I'll try what you said and get back to you. Thank You for your help.

ice_37ca

Bryan

Bryan
Ice started a new topic but I closed it and suggested they continue with this thread. Here is what was posted.

Hello again, I've got a different kind of problem now. Before my sound was conflicting with my ethernet card but now it has the wrong IRQ ,I need to know how I change the sounds IRQ from NO.5 to NO11 if that makes any sense. I was told that 9,10,and 11 are the safe ones to use and in checking the IRQ's 11 is free and so is 12 you help would be appreciated thank you

ice_37ca

Report this post

Max19

Account Disabled
What kind of computer do you have? Is it a name brand like Dell or Gateway or Compaq? If so, what is the model number?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online