1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound cards, worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 80Warrior, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 80Warrior

80Warrior Thread Starter

Hello. I am an avid gamer playing on a fairly nice PC I built myself. I never added a sound card as my motherboard has onboard "High Definition" audio. I've been shopping sound cards and they are not that expensive but I am not excited about giving up the PCI slot if this will not be a significant upgrade. I know back in the day onboard anything has been sub par but now the audio is "High Def" and comes with digital outputs. I have a nice set of 2.1 speakers however I use headphones most of the time in gaming.

So, am I holding back my PC by not making this upgrade? Here is a link to my mobo's website...

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=122-M2-NF59-TR&family=400

Thanks!!

2. guitar

guitar Banned

unless you are recording in multitrack which you need full duplex you can do without it

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

If it's just 2.1 speakers, you're fine with integrated audio. The main reason to buy a sound card would be if you have 6 or 8 channel surround sound.

4. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

I have the xfi xtreme gamer and the same mobo. It has better hardware than the xtreme audio (which uses software instead) for about $30 more.

I have always had a sound card because they produce better sound than onboard (yes, HD as well) and use less of the cpu.

A lot depends on your speakers though, as you would still have terrible sound with the $10 speakers that come with most pc's. I'm not sure about your 2.1 speakers or headphones, but if they are decent enough you should notice a difference. I am now using a logitech 5.1 system which sounds great, but not everyone has the space for extra rear speakers.

Also, make sure you enable the EQ and set it up, this will also give you better highs and lows

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice