1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound choppy. elements mobo, via chipset, onboard sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcon76, May 16, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my sound on my computer. I had downloaded the latest drivers from the via web site and everything was going fine. I have made no changes to the computer except for installing The Sims and everything was working fine. Now the problem is that I get some sound but not all. Best description is "choppy". It happens w/ sound efects and music files. The only thing I have not tried is playing an audio cd. Of course I removed the sound device. Now this is the strange part. I run the driver install that I downloaded and I get a message on the computer that says the via chipset has not been enabled in the bios. This is incorrect. The chipset is enabled. The onboard sound is enabled. So, after removing the sound device from device mgr I reboot the computer. The comuputer recognizes a pci communications device and locates and installs the drivers for it. Wow! Imagin that. Of course I get the same problem. Any suggestions? Need more info? let me know.Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm guessing an IRQ conflict. Any devices fighting for the same IRQ?

3. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

Nope. No irq conflicts. I reinstalled the drivers. Again. And somehow the stubborn sob decided to work. Now I have another problem.

Specs:

win98
    duron 750
    elements mobo w/onboard sound
    via chipset
    rage fury pro 32mb agp video card
    64 megs ram

Problem:

Everything was working fine. I haven't made any changes to my computer. At this time games won't play. For instance THE SIMMS. When the menu comes up and I select to play, the screen goes black. I have seen this posted on this board but the info does me no good. I have direct X 8 installed. My display adapter is current.
    The one thing that did happen befor the problem is that my sound was choppy. So, I removed my sound device and reinstalled. That took care of the sound problem but my games won't play. So, I removed my display drivers and reinstalled. Same problem. What could be causing this black screen considering everything was running fine? I dont know if this is a windows problem or a vidio card problem or just a vidio card in relation to games problem. Any ideas on this one?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice