1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound device gone AWOL.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gordon russell, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordon russell

gordon russell Thread Starter

I had to reload Windows XP Home Edition into my laptop and after it I seem to have no sound device and cannot play CDs or DVDs or listen to anything .In the 'Sound and Audio Device Properties' under ' Volume' it says "No Audio Device" as in Device Manager >Sound, video and game controllers it has no sound device listed .
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 247 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38146 MB, Free - 29154 MB;
    Motherboard: , , ,
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    The laptop had " 16-bit Soundblaster Pro compatible + AC 97 CODEC ,Micro ,Stereo Speakers.
    I have no idea how to remedy this.

2. pip22

pip22

Download any drivers you need from the laptop manufacturer's website (never from anywhere else because they won't necessarily be compatible).
    When you are on their main page, click on Support. If you had posted the relevant info (make/model of laptop) I could have directed you to the actual website you need, but just type XXX Support into Google Search (where XXX is the actual make of your laptop) and you should see what you need.

3. gordon russell

Hi pip22
    its an old laptop ( 2003 I think ) - eMachines 4413 - and the eMachines website did not even recognize it, nor could I get an indication it exist by searching the internet .I have e-mailed eMachines , but as the manufacturer under 'system information' was listed as 'DIXONSXP ' , I tried dixonsxp.com which only gave links to update vendors ( a fee ) , so I plodded on and eventually using the ' Device Manager finally noticed the ? mark at " other devices " and re-installed the ' Vinyl ac'97 Combo Driver(WDM) - which was called something else before being updated - and re-installed the ' PCI Modem ' , neither of which had any installed , and the third one at " other devices " was ' Video Controller ( VGA Compatible ) came up ' Cannot Install Hardware ' ; but I had got my sound back ! , it was after 3 am so I will hunt tomorrow on the web for a driver . In my inexperience I have been at this for 12 hours. and I hope I have more luck tomorrow .
    Any advice would be appreciated.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The machine is probably missing its chipset drivers and that is why the graphics is not recognized or identified. If you are happy with the way it is and the resolution, then I guess that's fine. But if you want better graphics and to play games, and possibly to have other features work, like power management, hibernation, and sleep, you will need that chipset driver package.

What board do you have? (Or make/model of machine if retail and you do not know what board).

5. gordon russell

Hi Evandil.
    The chipset is an Intel 6,5,4,3 900 Series -current version 9,2,0,1025 and it is an eMachines 4413 and quite old - 2003 C.E

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!