1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound device not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jss787, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jss787

jss787 Thread Starter

my sound device hasn't been working correctly for the past two weeks. The startup chime and the closing chime works as well as the error message sounds but I can't play songs or anything else that requires sound. It says the sound device isn't recognized but going into the device manager it says the device is working properly. I tried to reinstall the driver but that didn't seem to work.

2. dashdanw

dashdanw

are you sure the error sounds and startup are linked to that sound card and not to another speaker?

3. jss787

jss787 Thread Starter

No I'm not positive. I just figured since all the sound comes from one speaker it was linked to the same sound card. It's a compaq laptop.

4. dashdanw

dashdanw

so your having a problem with every program emitting sound, and you made sure that the correct sound device is seleceted in control panel>sound and audio devices? all the drivers are updated? what type of sound card is it??

5. jss787

jss787 Thread Starter

yes all drivers have been updated. The sound device is a soundmax. The weird part is when restarting the computer it will find the sound card but then all a sudden it won't see it anymore. Going into the sound and audio in the control panal it will say no play back devices available. But the soundmax will be there at startup and then go back to saying no play back devices.

6. dashdanw

dashdanw

sounds like a crappy soundcard, does it recognize other audio devices like a USB headset or any other audio periph that does run out of the sound card?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice