1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound device

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by blossoom, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blossoom

blossoom Thread Starter

Hi,
    I think I inadvertently uninstalled my sound card/device. I googled and found this site and followed some instructions and got the same outcome.
    How can I get my sound back can you give me instructions, or do I have to get someone to look at the computer for me.

It's XP when I try to play music I get

Windows Media cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program or it might not be functioning properly

thanks in anticipation
    Blossoom

2. noodles71

noodles71

drivers are missing.but you need to know which soundcard you have.If you don't know the name of your Sound card, go to Start> Run> type in "dxdiag" without quotes. Now go to the Sound Tab and any sound hardware installed is listed.then jump on the net,go to manufacturers website and get new drivers (you should find them in"support" or "downloads"
    if you cant do this tell me what machine you have, with serial number and i'll find them for you.

3. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Re-boot PC. May detect and install automatically.

No luck?
    R-click "My Computer" > click "Properties", click on the hardware tab, Device Manager.
    Look for yellow exclamation marks. See any? Open the tree beside any you see.
    R-click on the device, Properties
    Update/install driver.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice