1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound disappeared, but hardware shows okay

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by turbo24, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo24

turbo24 Thread Starter

Odd issue, just happened. XP home, service pack 3. Sony laptop model # VGNFE770G
    Sound stopped working. Plugged in external speakers and still get no sound. Sound properties everything is normal, there is nothing missing or grayed out. Device manager shows no yellow exclaimation points or issues with any sound devices. Have tried to remove and reinstall sound devices several times already no no avail.
    Tried downloading updated drivers, both for Sigmatek (which is the default on machine) and even tried using realtek and sound blaster utilties/drivers just for kicks. Nothing seems to work
    But windows shows there to be no issues.
    Any ideas??
    I did notice one odd element...in control panel, one of the selections is "Sound Reality Audio" and it is right next to the normal sound devices option. I have no idea what this is or how to get rid of that - Perhaps it is interfering with my regular audio?? I did select "use default devices" from the normal audio options...ANy help would be great!

2. TekTime

TekTime

Were there any Windows updates installed that you can remember, prior to your sound going out?

( I has a similar problem with a customer's Dell laptop running Vista, and I tried different drivers for different Dell laptops/models, and eventually the sound was restored...crazy huh?)

Strange problems like these are sometimes difficult to fix if the problem lies in the driver that was actually made for your computer. Have you tried uininstalling the hardware in device manager and restarting your PC to see if the sound comes back?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice