1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound disappears

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Terrence Rya, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Terrence Rya

Terrence Rya Thread Starter

All of a sudden, my sound disappears. I don't think that it is electontronic as it totally disappears; then comes back for a while. It happens when I try to play a CD, a DVD, Real Player or Windows Media Player.

2. rude

rude

Sounds like you need new a driver for your sound card.

3. sponsor

sponsor

yes, try reinstalling sound card drivers.
    Goto control panel > system > device manager and click on audio/video game controllers. Is there any |yellow| questions mark ? or something similar ?

4. edgarfc

edgarfc

Dear Tech Guys. After doing recommended upgrades in my computer I lost all the sounds. The Volume Control in the Task Bar disappeared. I received an error called Code 39. Please help me in recovering...

Thank you,

edgarfc

5. edgarfc

edgarfc

Yes, there is an yellow mark in one of the drives

6. edgarfc

edgarfc

I did what you suggested BUT in Windows XP system does not appear DEVICE MANAGER...Where, please, should I look for it? Thank you

7. rude

rude

For the volume icon go to control panel/sounds and audio devices,under the Volume tab,put a check in the box beside "place volume icon in taskbar",now before you apply and ok,click the "advanced" button,on the resulting Volume control box,make sure that volume control is not muted.Now you can click apply,ok and you should have your volume back.

Which device do you have a yellow ! in front of?

8. edgarfc

edgarfc

Maybe am making you confused... I am referring to a computer of a friend and am using THE SAME MODEL OF COMPUTER (LAPTOP)... LET ME RESTART... Yesterday a friend did upgrades (11 recommended and 6 drives updates in Windows XP Home Edition... and lost all the sound in the laptop... Now, here at home in my laptop (the same one like my friend) I am trying to go to find out in Control Panel, System, Device Manager and I cannot find Device Manager MY QUESTION IS WHERE DO I LOOK FOR IT (YELLOW SIGN SHOWING WHERE THE ERROR IS). My friend's computer says Error Code 39. thank you

9. edgarfc

edgarfc

Thank you for your answer... I will verify the name that the ! is on... in my computer and I will let you know... Thanks for your answer... I will continue in a few minutes... God Bless

10. edgarfc

edgarfc

Dear Tech Guy. My friend has an ! (yellow) in the Conexant AC-link Audio... How can he put it back to work (to have sound)?
    Thanks

11. edgarfc

edgarfc

I tried yesterday right clicking in the device (Conexant) and followed the instructions to reinstall the driver ... but I was not successful... Also in the "sounds...etc.." nothing is "on" in other words the window is "gray" and does not allow me to click on any box...

12. rude

rude

13. shadows_1959

shadows_1959

RUDE

Thanks a million you resolved my sound problem :)

Shadows_1959

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!