1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Sound does not transfer when extending desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CFIannotti, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CFIannotti

CFIannotti Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190828184349.000000-300
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12, CPU Count: 8
    Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce MX250
    Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (383 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP 85E5, ver 30.23, s/n PJAPQ1AWRCA0AY
    System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 2, s/n 8CG9212Y33
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have connected my laptop via HDMI to HDMI on my Samsung TV. The very first time I did it, and did the extend desktop choice (to recognize the tv as a 2nd monitor) the sound went from the Laptop to the TV speaker. A few days later when I tried again, the image moved over fine, but sound kept coming from the laptop.
    Is there a specific order of operations to connect the TV to a computer? I will answer any questions as asked.Thanks in advance.
    Mods, feel free to move to hardware, if that would be a better thread.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Check the Sound Properties by clicking on the speaker icon. If there is a drop down menu on the top right, click on that and you should see your TV listed.

3. CFIannotti

Hi James. I clicked on the speaker icon on the lower rt corner of the taskbar. That shows only the current volume. I am looking for the set up to make the sound migrate with the window to the television, when I use the TV settings to make the computer an input. Image is fine, just the sound still remains on the laptop. This is Windows 10, and it worked once,the first time I "extended" the desktop. Before my Vista PC croaked, that made the transition no problem. I am wondering if there is a sequence to turning on adjusting the TV, then starting the computer, Then pluging in the HDMI cord,etc...

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    This is what mine looks like:

upload_2020-1-14_7-6-46.png upload_2020-1-14_7-7-55.png

Granted mine are using DisplayPort but the idea is the same... it sounds like it's not detecting the sound. Have you tried unplugging the cable and reconnecting it to see if shows up? Also check Device Manager for any ! entries, especially in the sound area. Typically I would suggest updating your sound drivers.

According to your computer information, you still have warranty status with HP on your HP ENVY - 17m-ce0013dx. They also have a tech chat option so they can work with you while on your laptop. Click here to get to this option. You may need to verify your serial, which is 8CG9212Y33.

5. CFIannotti

Thanks, I will try the in out plug first,then the chat. Comparing to what my older Vista PC did, I would have the Vista desktop on the monitor, set the Samsung TV to get HDMI input, and would get the background color on the Samsung tv.Then I would open a browser, and dragf it over to the TV (acting as a second monitor.) after a second or 2, the sound would migrate over.
    On the W10 laptop to TV, I have the standard desktop on the laptop, and a duplicate minus the taskbar on the TV. All the icons etc are on both displays. Weird.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Windows key and P may be what you need to use too

CFIannotti likes this.
  7. CFIannotti

That's my choices.I was expecting something to allow a second screen which wasn't an extension.

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Hmm... I have only seen it as either a single monitor, extend, or duplicate. I haven't seen it do a separate screen from the desktop

9. CFIannotti

James, Vista was better.Its just something I will have to find a work around.Who knows, Maybe one of those recent Micro$oft update messed with a setting.

10. CFIannotti

So, today,I had the computer on.
    No browsers running.
    turned on tv.
    plugged HDMI from TV into computer.
    Basic desktop showed up, when I set the tv to HDMI blahblah setting.
    Opened browser, loaded a tv channel site.
    Sound migrated.
    So, I will not touch any display settings. Looks like this will work.I have a feeling, I may have to totally reverse the sequence to go back to TV as TV, to avoid losing what works.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice