Sound driver problem!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Strize

Everytime I install the sound software/driver...
In the device manager it says it's functioning properly, but when trying to play any sound it says i have no device.

I've got it down to a problem where windows is not recognizing it as a sound device. (When i go into sound and audio devices, from the control panel), its still as if no driver were installed, reading no playback device in the audio tab
and no audio device in the volume tab)

WinXP SP2
On board sound
Motherboard: ECSgroup P4VXASD2+
Drivers tried: tried 2 different drivers from the ECS group site for my mobo, and many other old outdated versions of the correct driver. I've even tried a few that did "not function properly". Right now i have the VIA vinyl pack driver/firmware installed as suggested by viaarena.com("functions properly")

But driver i try(even the suggested driver from windows update)...windows still does not recognize it as my default sound device or does not recognize it as a sound device at all...

When and how did this issue start? Has it always been this way or did it start with a change in hardware or software?

Strize

Well my last hard drive went haywire so i took an old hardrive out of a computer that i have been working on to the side...installed winxp
found all the drivers
then this problem hit
there was an old driver that worked and did show up in sound and audio devices but it was causing my computer to frequently crash

Make sure that you have the onboard audio enabled in the BIOS.

So did you change your OS to WinXP when you installed the new drive? It's been my experience that with some (especially older) hardware, if WinXP doesn't automatically detect and install it, custom drivers won't fix it. It may be that the integrated sound chip on your MOBO just doesn't work with XP.

Hope this helps,

jT

Strize

On board sound is enabled, and ive had it working on winxp before.
What i might do is just disable the on board sound and buy a cheap sound card...any suggestions?

If you are sure that it is enabled in the BIOS, I would still try the driver route. Have you tried the drivers at the top of this page?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

If this doesn't work, I would try a different sound card. Be careful about getting a cheapy though--you may have the same problem. You also might try going back to the drivers that came with your MOBO CD.

Hope this helps,

jT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online