1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AFetner, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFetner

AFetner Thread Starter

I was doing a little cleanup on my computer and i believe that i uninstalled my sound driver or whatever it is called. When i try to play a file in windows media player this message appears

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

I have gone and looked and it shows there being no default audio device, so yea i guess it is my driver. SO my question is how do i reinstall it? and What do i reinstall?

I have a Gateway laptop MX 3228 running Windows XP

I am not sure what sound card or device i should download to reinstall. On the bottom of the laptop there is a sticker about RF information and then below that it says "Realtek RTL8185 MiniPCl Zebra 100" I dont know if that has anything to do with My sound card or what.

Im sorry if i have confused you but please help.

2. Kitch

Kitch

3. Lord Zander

Lord Zander

I had the same error come up on my computer as well, also a Gateway laptop, but not the same model - an MX6439 with a Mobile AMD Sempron processor 3400+, 1.8Ghz and 448 MB of RAM. However, when I delved into my sound devices settings, I found that most of the audio/video devices, specifically the Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices, Legacy Video Cappture Devices and the Video Codecs, have no location. Under that heading, it just says, "unknown", and claims that the device is working properly. I have had this laptop for a while now, and the only thing notable is that there are two magnets in the carrying case I use to take it with me - they have done no damage to the computer itself, so I doubt it was those that did this. I tried everything I could think of, and this is decidedly over my head. Can anyone lend a helping hand?

PS: I know for a fact that I did NOT uninstall any drivers, I never delve that deep into the computer unless I absolutely have to. I also know that all my sound devices were working just fine yesterday and the day before, so I honestly have no idea what could have done this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice