Sound entirely stopped working on computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

epoul

I've got a set of Bose speakers that plug into the headphone jack of my desktop computer. Picked one of them up to dust the other day and the sound completely dropped out. An alert popped up on screen indicating the speakers had been disconnected and the Realtek HD Audio Manager popped up.

Subsequently, if I unplugged the speakers and plugged them back in, I would get a notice indicating an audio device had been plugged into the computer, but then when I x'd out of that a new notice popped up indicating that an audio device had been disconnected from the computer (though I'd not touched the cord at all).

I've restarted the computer, of course. I've unplugged and reconnected all of the speaker cords. I've tried the rear and front headphone jack. No change. I've plugged headphones into the headphone jack, no sound comes through there either.

The speakers are not muted. Power is working. Music is definitely playing. I've tried audio both in iTunes (volume turned up), and videos online. If I rightclick on the speaker icon and click on playback devices, three possibilities are listed: Speakers (says, "not plugged in"), Realtek digital output (default device), Realtek digital output optical (default communications device). When I play a song in iTunes, green bars appear beside the Realtek digital output (default device) indicating it is registering sound, but I don't hear anything.

I'm using Windows. But I've got to admit, I'm an utter tech novice. This is a home-built computer (built it about a year ago with a friend who knows much more than I, and haven't had any problems with it at all until now). Anyone willing to help me out will likely need to walk me through step by step (I mean, like how to even open basic operations).

In any event, thanks in advance for any assistance. I miss my tunage!!

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
It sounds like the physical input port might have gone bad.

Is this the port on the rear of the board?

Or a front case header?

epoul

Actually, neither the front nor the rear port works, oddly enough.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Try reinstalling your audio drivers.

What version of Windows are you CURRENTLY using?

Have you UPGRADED your windows version recently?

epoul

Hmm... I'm afraid I don't know how to reinstall the audio drivers. Is there a step by step explanation somewhere?

Also, not totally sure which Windows I'm using right now. But it may have updated automatically recently? If you could explain to me how/where to check this, I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks a lot!

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Ok I need to know the make and model number of your system.

(Should be on a label somewhere on the machine. If its a dell provide the 7 character service tag)

Hold windows logo key + R. In box type

Sysdm.cpl

Press enter

You should see a screen showing some info regarding your machine.

Post it back here

epoul

Actually, the machine is home built. So there isn't a make and model number that I'm aware of since I pieced it together with a friend.

And what information would you like from the sysdm.cpl task? It doesn't seem to give me much information other than providing tabs to access other information through clicks. For example, there are the computer name, hardware, advance, system protection, remote listed on tabs.

Thanks again!

Xsage

Dave
again, do windows + R. But this time type in the box:

dxdiag

If the window pops up click "Save All Information..." - it will save it to the location specified as a text document.

then upload it back here.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Xsage has also posted a way for system info.

Please post the system info either from the computer tab or from dxdiags copy/paste

epoul

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. It's been a crazy week. But I'm hoping you might still be able to help out. I've uploaded the diagnostics here. Let me know what you think I should try for next steps. Thanks!

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online