1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound events

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cabra, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Could someone please advise me on restoring sound events in windows xp pro. I can play them via real player and I can also play all other media, but sound events are silent. I have gone through the trouble shooter suggestions but things are still the same.
    thanks

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

Download and install Tweak UI. Open Tweak > general > check beep on errors and click ok.

You should also make sure the sound scheme is set to Windows default in the control panel.

3. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt reply .I carried out your suggestions but still no sound . I have three external speakers (1 is sub -woofer ) I can play cds etc but cannot figure out why sound events are not working?

4. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried change the Windows theme?

To select a different theme Open Display in Control Panel.
    On the Themes tab, under Theme, click a new theme.

Notes
    To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

Themes affect the overall look of your desktop, including the background, screen saver, icons, windows, mouse pointers, and sounds.

If more than one person uses a computer, each with his or her own user account, each person can choose a different theme.

5. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Thanks Dan O & Mike5532g, I´m afraid I still have no sound . I have just checked the settings
    on my laptop (windowsxp home) and they are both set up the same, laptop sounds are there?

6. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Further to my problem ---I have run dxdiag and the following error came up as there was no sound.:-
    Failure at step 19(user verification software) Hresult=0x00000000(error code)

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

8. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Sorry mike 5532g, Problem still the same having re-downloaded directx. The only thing I downloaded before my problems was Skype. There was reference to Skype managing sound
    settings or words to that effect so I have got rid of it, but things are still the same.

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

If it hasn't been too long since you installed skype, system restoring to a point before the install may fix this.

Another possibility. Look for a yellow ! in the device manager. I suspect a faulty/corrupt soundcard driver. Uninstall the sound device, restart, and Windows will reinstall it for you, have the installation cd handy in case it asks for it.

10. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Hi Mike5532g,
    Tried all suggestions with no success .Restore made no difference so probably Skype not to blame . It´s frustrating to know the sounds play in windows media player etc but not play
    ¨normally¨.I have checked all volume controls and speaker connections but not getting anywhere with the problem .It´s not critical but I would like it to function.

11. mike5532g

mike5532g

12. cabra

cabra Thread Starter

Thanks again for your help I had a look at the link , but I´m not sure if I can mess aout too much in the registry .Will keep it in mind as last resort.Will try in another direction .

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice