1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Fails Throughout Software

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Sorcerer, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Thread Starter

I have a weird delimma.
    I have no sound from any applications or from Windows (Vista).
    This occured suddenly about a week ago. I turned on the computer and no sound would play once Windows was booted. I have had no similar problems until this point, and the computer worked fine for months previously.

I ran a number of tests to try and find what works and what doesn't, hoping for a pattern. All I get is that no sound works. I cannot find the source.

When WMP tries to play something I recieve an error:
    If I run Jeskola Buzz (A synth program) I receive an error: "waveOutOpen() failed."

Audacity just crashes. I think for a bit I got the error: "WaveOut device opening error"

I cannot enable/disable the playback or recording devices.
    I can however adjust the volume and mute the sound.

I know the hardware is fine because every time my computer boots it plays this "explosion" sound. I don't know whose bright idea it was to make a computer explode everytime you turn it on, but at the moment I don't mind because it is one of the few sounds I get.
    The playback for the mic also functions properly, and the volume of which can be adjusted by either means, alone or by the computer volume, and can be muted.

I attempted to test the sound via the playback devices, but I recieve the error: "Failed to play test tone."

Using Realtek HD Audio Manager gets me no where, as nothing actually seems to do anything (except the mic volume).

DirectSound cannot create the device, and I get a 0x80070005 error.

Running dxdiag I get "Error: Problem getting extra sound info" when it loads.
    Outside of that it doesn't report any errors.
    I am running DirectX 10.

To go ahead and get them out of the way, here are the things I have already tried:
    I Uninstalled/Reinstalled the Sound Drivers.
    I insured that DirectX is up to date.
    I have run Windows Update.

I thought for a while that something had control of the interface, and wouldn't let it go.
    It doesn't work in safe mode either. (I had to use Buzz to verify this, as WMP doesn't seem to start in safe mode)

It is possible that the software cannot communicate with the device. Why still remains.
    It is possible that something has become corrupted so something is not being loaded, or simply something is no longer loading at startup, or fails to load.

Any ideas as to the cause of this would be much appriciated.

2. biagrin

biagrin

have you tried doing a system restore to before the problem happened?

3. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Thread Starter

Unfortunately I don't have a restore point far enough back.
    As a side note, I can't find the method by which to increase the memory alloted to System Restore in Vista.

Any other ideas?

4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Thread Starter

I can disable the hardware devices if I go to the device manager.
    I have tried removing the hardware devices and detecting them again (by the device manager).
    The next step is to remove them and remove all drivers for them at the same time.

I have tried a few things with msconfig.exe, but still nothing.

Has anyone had similar problems?
    Anyone have any ideas? At this point I'd take some pretty off the wall ones.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice