1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound from AIW9800 PRO TO A7N8X DLX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peter kotar, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peter kotar

peter kotar Thread Starter

hi, im configuring an htpc. got the video workin ,sound also works for video and games. but when i try to use tv and pvr function of AIW i get no sound. i connected the AIW 9800 pro to pc via blue audio jack on ati hdtv dongle(red) mobo is a7n8x dlx with blue line in for audio.(has soundstorm) pc is connected to yamaha reciever with 6.1 surround. pc has no spkrs directly attached. how should i configure audio, i have run through both wizards to set it up according to manuf. instructions. still no sound from line in(tv/pvr)

2. winbob

winbob

Peter,

I a little confused by your description, but you said, "still no sound from line in(tv/pvr)".

The Receiver's Line IN port should be cabled to the Line OUT of either the Sound Card OR the AIW Card. Then the Receiver's spkrs should work.

3. peter kotar

sorry for the garbled description. -- i do get sound from the reciever when watchiing movies from hard drive,playing games, and general windows apps. so i do have an active audio connection from pc to reciever (onboard spdif to reciever ) however, the ati all in wonder requires a separate connection for tv/pvr audio. they recommend the "audio " from AIW dongle to sound card "line in". i have done that. still no sound from tv/pvr function of aiw. there is also a spdif connection on dongle but i have no spdif in on mobo. still looking for answers...btw thank you for the reply

4. ohgrant

ohgrant

I have better luck just running directly from the source to the sound card line in, no need to hook up to the video card dongle, you will still be able to capture with sound.

5. winbob

winbob

Peter,

This is rather strange. I think you should eliminate the Receiver from this set up until you get the TV/PVR sound working. If you don't have a cheap set of spkrs to play with, how about using Headphones.

Let me make sure of something. You do have the Audio jumper wire going from the AIW audio Line Out to the Sound Card Line In ???

6. peter kotar

yes, winbob. the audio(male) is plugged in to line in(female) on a7n8x mobo. the red dongle is needed to display image on toshiba rptv (46h84) dongle has component cable hookups ,audio and spdif out. some replies from other forums have given clues to atleast get the audio working. i clicked on record button on control panel , changing it to tv viewing. apparentle there was a setting somewhere muting audio during recording. though audio quality is poor. other responses have reported issues with AIW and nforce2 audio.have read about a posssible workaround; a spdif input riser available from asus. wondring if anyone gets better results from this. i have used this setup before minus reciever and HDTV and it worked like a champ!but incorporating the tv and reciever is the whole point of my exercise. im shooting for the HTPC experience.

7. winbob

winbob

Well the most I can add to the sound quality issue is that either the Impedance(s) of the two devices is a bad match, or that the sound levels of one device or the other is too low.

Do you have to turn the playback level way up to get a decent volume or is it crap at all sound levels?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice