1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound has stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thommo77, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thommo77

thommo77 Thread Starter

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but hopefully I can get some help.
    The sound on my PC stopped working about a week ago, had been working fine up until that point. Hadn't installed anything in at least the few weeks before it stopped.

I decided to re format the PC a few days later thinking that it would be fine, which initially it was, oh by the way, am running XP professional. Windows did all its updates as per normal and the sound stopped again.

Reinstalled the PC yet again to try and get to the bottom of things and this time went through things a bit more slowly. Did it's first lot of updates, was fine after those. That was yesterday that they updated. Tonight installed Service Pack 2 and thats when it has stopped.

In the Sound and Audio Devices section of the Control Panel it is saying there is no audio device installed, yet I had installed it via the CD that came with the motherboard. Soundmax sound on an ASUS k8v SE deluxe motherboard.

Does anyone know why something like this may have happened, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Check in Services to see that it in-fact has been started.

Go Start>>Run type services.msc click OK

Look down the list for Windows Audio..

Double click on it and check that is has been started (the start button will be greyed out)

and the startup type is Automatic

If not started then start it.

3. thommo77

thommo77 Thread Starter

It says it's started and the startup type is automatic.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you checked for any driver updates on the manufactures site....also have you tried re-install the sound drivers.

5. thommo77

thommo77 Thread Starter

Yeah, have checked that. I'll try reinstall them again. See how that goes.

6. thommo77

thommo77 Thread Starter

Have reinstalled but hasn't worked :(
    Files have reinstalled and the sound max icon is showing up in the task bar like it was. But that audio icon hasn't come back (that disappeared also after SP2 was installed)
    Any other ideas?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried just going into the device manager(right click 'my
    computer'
    -select properties-then hardware tab-then device manager), then remove the audio device(in device manager go to Sound,video and game
    controllers look for your audio device-right click then select uninstall).
    Then scan for hardware changes by right clicking on 'sound, video and game
    controllers' and select scan for hardware changes, then allow it to reinstall
    itself?

8. bonk

bonk Banned

If that doesn't work go to the manufactures site of you PC or motherboard and see if there is any Update Chip-set drivers available.

9. thommo77

thommo77 Thread Starter

That unfortunately didn't work.
    I may need to try an old sound card I have somewhere, see if that works. I did have problems with that over a year ago though.
    I'll try that tomorrow though.

10. laborday95

laborday95

I had the same problem. I know it's been a while since you posted, but in case you are curious, here's what worked for me. And maybe if someone else has this problem and reads your thread (like I did) it will help them too.

If the order of installation is O/S, new Dell Soundmax drivers, then service pack 2, the sound card will not work. The latest drivers do not appear to work with SP2. I decided to re-install my O/S (for the third time), using the drivers from the disk that came with my computer, then install SP2. The sound worked great (previously I did install O/S, install newest drivers, THEN installed SP2, and it boogered my sound beyond recovery).

It might be if I had installed the O/S, then Service Pack 2, then the latest drivers last that it would have still worked, but I'm just not up for an experiment requiring a fourth install of the O/S.

In short, if you are having this problem, try installing the OLD drivers for the Soundmax sound card, NOT the most up to date drivers from the Dell site. That's what did it for me. Who needs up to date drivers anyway?? ;-) If you MUST have the most up to date drivers, try installing the service pack before you install the drivers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!