1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Has Vanished.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeStevenson, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LukeStevenson

LukeStevenson Thread Starter

Hello.

The sound on my Toshiba Equium laptop has gone. It went when I was connecting a projector to it. No sound at all.

My sound card is a Realtek High Definition audio (with SRS).

The laptop seems to be pretty damn sure that there is no problem with the driver or sound card.

The laptop is not set to mute in any capacity. I have checked the mixer for the levels. When I play music etc, the bar things will go up or down, stubbornly convinced that it is playing sound. It is not.

I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the sound driver, to no avail. Iv also checked the playback and the laptop is still convinced that everything is ok. When I check for updates for the driver. Laptop says I have the best damn driver going on.

I have also restored the laptop to a time when I could enjoy as much sound as I liked.
    The laptop however, holds on to its new irritating, quiet personality trait.

Phoning the toshiba helpline, the man on the other end says that my sound card has 'packed up.' Do sound cards just 'pack up.' If so, is there any way of un-bloody-packing them?

People with similar problems on forums have been advised to check their BIOS and Chipsets. I dont know what these word mean or how to access them.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could advise me as Id rather not send the laptop away for an expensive pampering. It doesnt deserve it.

I understand you may need to know what my 'SPECS' are. I also dont know how to acquire this information, so I will need your guidance every step of the way.

Thanks a million in advance.

2. LukeStevenson

Oh yeah.... Vista....

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Packed up usually means deceased. Caput. Dead. not working any more. For a laptop, I dont think there is any way of getting a new unit, as its integral to the motherboard. :)

4. LukeStevenson

Thanx for the smiley face. Took the edge off the pain of the bad news.

Can I buy an external sound card that would work?

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Before you look at an external card, check to see if the sound is really gone. A tech will often tell you the easiest or commonest problem, without checking- its the easiest way normally.
    For externals, I know that creative do have an external SC, that appears to work well, on a USB connection.
    As your computer still says you have the sound, I would guess it still works- if it didnt, you would get a failure message or similar. I am pretty sure very sinilar probs have been posted and solved, it may be worth a scan through older posts to find some workrounds :)

6. LukeStevenson

Thanx for the advice Gulo. I have really exhausted all the applicable posts here plus given google a real going over. There are the same 5-6 solutions for people with no sound.

Everyone else with this problem seems to have a computer that acknowledges that it has a problem. These people generally have to get new drivers. For everyone else, its volume control of some sort with one of the many audio adjusting devices on their computer.

My computer doesn't acknowledge that there is a problem. There are no greyed out areas or exclamation marks or yellow bits. The computer is also positive my drivers are up to date. I am absolutely positive the thing isnt on mute.

The bar thing goes up and down when there is supposed to be sound. It clearly thinks there is sound which is encouraging.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thankyou.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice