1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frank480, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frank480

frank480 Thread Starter

Hi. My onboard audio failed for some reason I tried to fix it by reinstalling the driver but I guess it is a problem with the chip itself. I went out and got a creative soundblaster live card. I disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS and removed it from the device manager, but it is still trying to reinstall on start up and I can't get the new card installed. How do I get the old onboard audio completely out? My machine is an hp pavilion running windows me. The onboard audio is crystal audio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi Frank,
    I doubt HP provided you with this but did they give you a book with the motherboard information? It could well be a jumper on the board that need shifting. You may need to whip the side off and inspect the board for a manufacturer and details.
    If you are mega lucky there may even be a labeled jumper :)
    Seems a bit odd that it won't let you install a new card though. Is the new one appearing in the Device manager with a warning?
    Secondly, get rid of that abortion of a OS (mE) ;) , it'll make your life so much easier.

Let us know what you find out.

3. frank480

frank480 Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion. I found the manual for my motherboard online. I didn't see anything about a jumper. Then again I'm not real sure what I'd be looking for.

4. frank480

frank480 Thread Starter

The new card installs successfully, until I reboot. Then my machine hangs up. I restart in safe mode, remove the new software from the device manager, shut down, physically remove the new card, then my computer starts up ok.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice