1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound hiccups during hard drive activity

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rockin69, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockin69

Rockin69 Thread Starter

I changed from Win XP to Win 7 and, overall, I think it's a much better system. However, one problem I had is that my old sound card, a Sound Blaster Live!, was not recognized by it. So I had to change to a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

But ever since I changed it I have these annoying hiccups whenever I'm listening to audio and doing something else with the computer, like installing a software, surfing the internet or anything that requires some HD activity.

For instance, if a Youtube video is buffering and I press Play before it finishes, I get the hiccups. Once the whole thing is complete I can listen to it with no problem.

Playing games I usually don't have any problem, probably because there's no other activity going on besides the game itself.

My specs:

Win 7 Professional 32bits
    Intel Core Duo 1.6Ghz
    2 GB of RAM
    12GB of free HD space
    3070 of Virtual Memory allocated
    Background softwares: Avast 5, MalwareBytes and TuneUp 2010.

Any help will be immensely appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Did you fully uninstall the old sound driver completely.........is that PC compatible for W7?

3. Rockin69

Rockin69 Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't fully uninstall a sound card that Windows wasn't even recognizing in the first place. What I did was I took the card out, restarted Windows without it, turned it off again and then put the X-Fi there.

My pc is compatible, I ran Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before I installed it and everything was ok (except the sound card, but I decided to take a chance on it).

I think it might have something to do with virtual memory or some sound card configuration, but I'm not sure.

4. Rockin69

Rockin69 Thread Starter

No one? Nothing?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice