Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sound is coming from Speakers and Headphones

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Phase 
#1 ·
I've googled and googled and everything I've tried I either don't have the options or it didn't work. The issue is whenever I plug in my headset.. both my laptop's speakers and mic work.. as well as my headset's speakers and mic. I'm plugging the headset into the audio and mic jacks on the laptop.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5570-2052 (Came with Vista, I installed XP Home)

Under the Device Manager's Sound, video, and game controllers list I have:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek High Definition Audio
Video Codecs

I also have Realtek HD Audio Manager installed.

What I want to happen is when I plug in my headphone's mic and speaker jacks the laptop's mic/speaker turns off. I've tried messing with all kinds of stuff with no luck at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
The speakers are often turned off by a physical switch within the headphone socket - as you push the jack into the socket it physical moves a switch - shoulds like this is not the case on the acer

have you tried a different plug, if possible, maybe from a different set of headphones, - see if a different type of plug works.

#3 ·
The speakers are often turned off by a physical switch within the headphone socket - as you push the jack into the socket it physical moves a switch - shoulds like this is not the case on the acer

have you tried a different plug, if possible, maybe from a different set of headphones, - see if a different type of plug works.
Ah sorry I forgot to mention.. I've tried different headphones as well, and I don't think it's the physical switch because it worked properly on Vista, and works on Linux (I dual boot)

#4 ·
You've done your homework, I will give you that. Strange that it should do that though, I thought it always kicked in automatically.

You've probably already been through this, but the Realtek Sound Manager > Audio I/O tab, should have a little spanner icon near your analog settings. Check to make sure that the 'Mute rear panel output when front headphone plugged in' check box is ticked.

Other than that, it's got me stumped.

#5 ·
You've done your homework, I will give you that. Strange that it should do that though, I thought it always kicked in automatically.

You've probably already been through this, but the Realtek Sound Manager > Audio I/O tab, should have a little spanner icon near your analog settings. Check to make sure that the 'Mute rear panel output when front headphone plugged in' check box is ticked.

Other than that, it's got me stumped.
That was one of the things I've seen repeated a few times, but I don't have that option. Here's what I do have:

And that option is referring to this:
Whenever I plug in a headset jack.. this pops up:

I forget which item did it but one of the items only made the sound come out of the speakers, and not the headphone.. but the rest had the same effect as my current issue.

#6 ·
I don't think it's the physical switch because it worked properly on Vista, and works on Linux (I dual boot)
So the headphones disable the speakers on Vista and Linux
But you have installed XP , and it does not switch off the speakers now

however, you dual boot
and it works OK on Linux - But not on XP

is this correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.