1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound is crap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nessa, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

hi all again........... ok i had my comp done a while back friend took my hard drive an put it in another computer pretty much just rebuilding me a new one is what he did... anyways my sound was good b 4 he did it an now it just sucks . not sure how to explain how it sounds ill try my best tho.

sounds like a radio station but very muffled an low even if i put my speakers an volume control to full ( highest level) it still doesnt go loud an im nto sure what to do i dunno how to tell what sound card i have or where it came from anyone got any ideas?

running windows me
    pentum 2
    thanks all

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Nessa
    Sound problems can be a bit of a mess to straighten out. Not knowing the specifics such as.....

Does your system have a separate sound card? If so what is the make and model?

If your unit has on-board sound what make and model of the motherboard do you have?

Most time when is not working properly it needs driver updates. One item you could check is making sure the speakers are hooked correctly and are working properly themselves.

Your friend may be able to help you or supply you with the information we would need to help you locate drivers for your system.

Dave

3. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

well lol if u can help me figure out if i have a seperate sound card i can tell u im sure it is cuz when i hooked up my cd burner i had to hook it to another card that was sound ( not a big ole mother board :) ) so im sure it is seperate. hopw do i find out what the sound card is? the friend that helped me isnt around now hes gone away for a while so i cant ask him,,,

4. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Hi Nessa,
    You could check the connections. If they firmly connected. Try cleaning the connectors.
    when you are in the volume control, can you go to the advanced part and tinker around with the Bass and Treble settings?

To find out which sound card you have,
    right click on My Computer, select Device Manager tab,
    CLick on teh plus sign next to Sound Video and Game Controllers.
    What is listed under that? One of them will have the name of the sound card.

Do your speakers play alrite when using some other player?

~Gg~

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Have you checked/adjusted your volume settings in the sound mixer?

6. wolfworx

wolfworx

Another suggestion:

If you have some headphones handy, try plugging them into the soundboard speaker output and see if the sound problem continues or improves.

BTW, some soundboards have two outputs, one for speakers and another for aux. devices such as tape recorders. This output has is different and will not work properly with speakers. You may investigate to see if this is the problem.

7. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

ok i went into systems an stuff an did what u said to find out what sound card i have this is what i see in there::
    Crystal WDM audio codec
    Crystal WDM audio control registers
    Crystal WDM MPU-401 compatible
    Disabled device

so do i do a search for all of these to see if i can update drivers or l3eave them alone?

8. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

i checked the cords an volume controls already all of them are fine just the sound is for the shitter is all

9. replay

replay

10. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

ok did that now what? i have a whole bunch a things on the page now do i paste em in here or no?... puter illiterate o boy

11. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

any one know if i can updte these drivers or should i leave em alon an when i get rich buy a new sound card?

12. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

ok this is what i have ( dled belarc) this is what it gamme:

Multimedia

Crystal WDM Audio Codec
    Crystal WDM Audio Control Registers
    Crystal WDM MPU-401 Compatible
    Disabled Device

wich one of these can i update to see if my sound gets better?

13. dogbonz

dogbonz

Hi nessa,

See if Belarc tells you the model # of the Crystal
    card you have.

Also, you may need to go in the BIOS and make sure
    the "On Board Sound" is set to "enabled".

If you can find the model number, do a search on the
    web for the latest drivers for that particular sound
    card.

14. nessa

nessa Thread Starter

i dont see a model number anywhere? an i have no clue how to check bios or anything lol

15. dogbonz

dogbonz

Check with the BelArc program. A typical Crystal Sound
    card would be C8367 or something. Then search the net
    with the full title. (CMS83xx comes to mind, but I may be wrong)
    Open the "Properties" tab in Device manager, it should be in there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice