1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Issue, Irq prob?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DigitalBlasphmy, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DigitalBlasphmy

DigitalBlasphmy Thread Starter

just recently I have been having a sound problem. I am running Win XP pro on my 1 gig t-bird, 256 ram, not sure what sound card, tnt2 64m video card. The problem started out minor and has seemed to get progressively worse. What happens is the sound seems to do 1 of 2 things. First it's really choppy when the computer is working (I.E. the red light comes on). Every time something is loading or working the sounds skips bad. Now the computer is also skipping a bit when this happens. I'll use Unreal Tournament as an example. When I start it (and this is not limited to games, but every sound) it plays the sounds very very badly and then after while will get to normal. But it gets worse before it gets better and then the screen and game will skip every second or so. I read other posts and think it may be IRQ problem? Here is my listing.

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
    IRQ 11 SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
    IRQ 11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 SiS 7018 Audio Driver OK
    IRQ 11 HSP56 MR OK
    IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

I consider myself to be a newbie when it comes to some hardware and software so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. brianF

brianF

First thing, go to start/settings/control panel/sound and multimedia/audio tab/advanced/ is hardware acceleration enabled? (this is from 2k but I think xp is the same)

Here is an article from microsoft on manually changing irq assignments in xp

Move the sound off onto another one that is open and it will work on.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307970

3. DigitalBlasphmy

It is enabled and it is a bit different than 2k. When I was using Directx 8.1 to see if I could find a problem I found that when I go to the sound tab and put the bar on no acceleration in hardware sound acceleration level I am able to run the test. But it also says your card does npot support hardware buffering. What that would have to do with anything I don't know. But no acceleration does nothing to fix the problem. And Also I, for some reason, cannot change my irq settings in Win XP. I followed the steps but it will not allow me to follow them completely. I am going to go get another sound card, one that is not on the mobo, and see if that might be the case. Good return policy helps me test out my hardware when I need to! But I will be back if that does not work. Thanks!

4. supertech

supertech

hsp56 is a modem i think and your ethernet card are both on irq 11 why is that?and your audio driver also?

5. DigitalBlasphmy

Well I did some fixing and switching and found out half of the problem. I didn't think anything would happen with switching it back to what it was..but I had rearranged my IDE cables for the purpose of making my CD-RW run on it's own and burn faster. When I switched it back to it's original state the sounds was fixed...but not completely. A few applications and games still have some static type distortion and some skipping. About the Irq thing...Yeah I guess they are all on the same #11. But I am not familiar with irq settings and the like. But I do recall seeing my ethernet and sound card attached to the mobo. If that has anything to do with it I am not sure.

6. supertech

supertech

WELL I guess what i was getting at was if you were on line while you are listening to cd,s sharing the same irq would be a problem and maybe cause the problem you described

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!