1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Issues, possibly motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SF_Disruption, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SF_Disruption

SF_Disruption Thread Starter

Hi. I've heard good things about this forum, so I thought I'd post my query here.

Basically, I have a problem when it comes to sound in general with my computer. About a year ago I started to have problems with my onboard sound ports, and one day they just stopped working completely. So I bought a temporary replacement rubbish pci card until I figured the problem out, however I never found a solution. So I used the temporary replacement as permanent. However, I started to get BSOD's when I opened up say, a music making program, they're not very occurent, however when they do happen it's somewhat a shock, you know.

So recently I bought a new soundcard in attempts to get rid of the BSOD problem (Trust SC-5250), and also because I needed a better all round quality in my music making and recording. However, when I began to use the soundcard for recording (through the line in port) the quality would always be highly fuzzy and somewhat unbearable, and I still get the BSOD's.

So, I narrowed it down possibly to the motherboard? maybe I have a problem you all may have heard of? All advice is appreciated muchly.

Joe

2. 1stoptek

1stoptek

Blue screens are commonly caused by bad drivers. I would download the latest driver for your sound card and your motherboard chipset drivers to get the bugs out.

Also, if the sounds you're recording are distorted, this is commonly cause by the recording setting being set too high, causing clipping. This can be adjusted in Control Panel under Sounds. Also, make sure you're not using bad cables just in case.

3. SF_Disruption

Ah. Yeah, I forgot to mention, I've downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my soundcard, haven't looked for any new ones for the motherboard chipset drivers. I'll check it out now.

And as far as the recording is concerned, It's not distortion, it's just bad quality recording. Hissing, instead of distortion. But thanks anyway!

Anyway yes, thanks for the reply, and I'll post a new reply when I have updated the drivers on my motherboard.

Thanks,

Joe

4. SF_Disruption

So, I looked up the motherboard and there are no new updates to install. I am fully up to date. My motherboard make and model are like so:

Make: Asus
    Model: P5P800-VM

If posting my full rig would help let me know thanks.

5. 1stoptek

1stoptek

If your soundcard is integrated with your motherboard, the only other thing I know to suggest it to upgrade the BIOS on your motherboard. The blue screens are what's puzzling me if everything is updated. They are occurring with both the integrated and PCI soundcards. If the blue screens are occuring with the newer soundcard, it may not be the soundcard at all. You could have a motherboard going bad or just bad RAM. Also, check to see if your video card is updated. I've seen those cause problems with sound cards believe it or not so check it just in case. If I think of anything else, I'll keep you posted.

6. SF_Disruption

Ah okay, will do. I'll look for new graphics drivers and I'll run a memory test. I was thinking it may be a bad motherboad. I'll let you know when I have looked for updates.

7. SF_Disruption

Right, I've just had another BSOD; Thought I'd post the technical information from the screen here:

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000007B2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9DAC652)

*** cmaudio.sys - adress B9DAC652 base at B9D84000, datestamp 3d338bc7"

I think I've gathered from that information that it is a problem with my soundcard drivers, suggestions?

8. 1stoptek

1stoptek

It could be that your music recording program is not compatible with your soundcard. I would check to see if there's an update for that software. Is that the only time it gives you the error? Maybe the PCI soundcard is defective. It wouldn't explain why you no sound with the one on the motherboard, though.

9. SF_Disruption

Hmm. No it's definitely not the music recording program. It's somewhat universal. Plus I've tried it with various other music programs, like Ableton, FL Studio, Logic Pro, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that I should try out other soundcards to see if mine is defective. As far as the onboard motherboard settings are concerned, I think I may have broken it by accident so :\

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice