Sound Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brooklynsss

I have had an issue with the sound on my computer for quite a while now. At first, I had been trying to fix an issue I had with no sound playing through my headphones, but in trying to fix that, I created another issue, that being that I have no sound at all through my speakers. When I open playback devices, my speakers and headphones no longer show up. I’ve tried a lot solutions but with them I am not sure if I did them right, so if anyone has any suggestions at all I’d be greatly happy to hear them again. I have an hp, and it has windows 10. If anyone does have a solution, please do try to keep in mind that I am not very tech savvy, as some may assume because of the fact that I caused this issue to begin with. Thank you!

brooklynsss

Hello!

Please run our TSG System Information Tool which will give us basic hardware information on your computer.
Here it is:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 10586, Installed 20160830163926.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) m5-6Y54 CPU @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: @oem117.inf,%dwmirrordrv% 64-bit;DameWare Development Mirror Driver 64-bit
Hard Drives: C: 235 GB (46 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 80FC, ver KBC Version 15.5C, s/n PT10600WB161O6
System: HP, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n 5CG612600G
Antivirus: McAfee Endpoint Security, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
To confirm, you have a HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet?

Also, is your Windows 10 version for developers? The build version is not a typical build number.

brooklynsss

To confirm, you have a HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet?

Also, is your Windows 10 version for developers? The build version is not a typical build number.
Yes, that is my computer. Considering your question about windows 10, I am unsure. If you know a way I can find out, I'd be happy to try and look.

Couriant

James
Yes, that is my computer. Considering your question about windows 10, I am unsure. If you know a way I can find out, I'd be happy to try and look.
You can try typing winver in the search bar and see what version is shows there.

I wonder if I misread this and it's version 1703?

brooklynsss

You can try typing winver in the search bar and see what version is shows there.

I wonder if I misread this and it's version 1703?
It says that its Version 1511 (OS build 10586.1045) (not sure if that last part is any help but I just wanted to put everything to make sure you get what you need.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Couriant

James
OK, that is a really old Windows 10 build version, probably the second build. This version is not supported by Windows at all. You should update Windows as much as you can. Check the Windows Updates.

As to the sound issue, check Device Manager to see if the audio device is showing it's working.

brooklynsss

OK, that is a really old Windows 10 build version, probably the second build. This version is not supported by Windows at all. You should update Windows as much as you can. Check the Windows Updates.

As to the sound issue, check Device Manager to see if the audio device is showing it's working.
So Ive also been having this issue where I'm not allowed to update windows, as when I click to check for updates it says that I'm not connected to wifi (even though I am).
About the audio device, is it what comes up as "Intel High Definition Audio"? I'm sorry, I imagine it must be frustrating to work with someone like me who is knows little about this kind of stuff.

Couriant

James
So Ive also been having this issue where I'm not allowed to update windows, as when I click to check for updates it says that I'm not connected to wifi (even though I am).
About the audio device, is it what comes up as "Intel High Definition Audio"? I'm sorry, I imagine it must be frustrating to work with someone like me who is knows little about this kind of stuff.
I'm a Help Desk Analyst so it's my job to work with all forms of users :)

The Intel HD Audio may be the issue because I don't see any official HP drivers for that... so maybe the computer is using the wrong driver. What I am seeing is that it should be Conexant HD device.

Can you right click on the device in Device Manager, then choose Properties. Then click on Details, then in the drop down menu, click on Hardware ID option and report back the VEN and DEV numbers. Should be a 2 sets of 4 characters, ie 8086 for VEN

brooklynsss

I'm a Help Desk Analyst so it's my job to work with all forms of users :)

The Intel HD Audio may be the issue because I don't see any official HP drivers for that... so maybe the computer is using the wrong driver. What I am seeing is that it should be Conexant HD device.

Can you right click on the device in Device Manager, then choose Properties. Then click on Details, then in the drop down menu, click on Hardware ID option and report back the VEN and DEV numbers. Should be a 2 sets of 4 characters, ie 8086 for VEN
So the Conexant HD device does not show up as a device. I can say that before I messed up the audio on this computer, it was there and the audio worked for the speakers. Is there any way I can get it back?

Couriant

James
So the Conexant HD device does not show up as a device. I can say that before I messed up the audio on this computer, it was there and the audio worked for the speakers. Is there any way I can get it back?
OK, I am guessing the drivers was changed as to probably the video card too.

This is the sound driver for the device, though it has been updated and it may not work with your version... maybe that's why the driver/device has changed.

I don't know if you can install version updates on an already old version. I think your best bet is to do a complete clean install of the latest version of Windows 10. This will mean it will wipe everything so you will need to back up your data and sync bookmarks before completing this task.

Let us know if that is what you would like to do.

brooklynsss

OK, I am guessing the drivers was changed as to probably the video card too.

This is the sound driver for the device, though it has been updated and it may not work with your version... maybe that's why the driver/device has changed.

I don't know if you can install version updates on an already old version. I think your best bet is to do a complete clean install of the latest version of Windows 10. This will mean it will wipe everything so you will need to back up your data and sync bookmarks before completing this task.

Let us know if that is what you would like to do.
So I just downloaded the sound driver you linked, and now my speakers & headphones are showing up as a playback device, but unfortunately it still plays no sound. Unlike before, it no longer shows a red x over the sound, and says that the volume is turned all the way up. I went into the playback devices and tried to test the sound, but it tells me "failed to play test tone". So do you think it still wont work because of my version of windows or is this progress?

Couriant

James
I think your computer is missing too many driver/windows updates. I think saving time and headaches by doing a clean install of Windows 10 would be your best option at this point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online