Sound malfunction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eejit

Well here's the basics of my problem. I built my grandfather a computer about a year ago. It worked fine until it started not outputting any sound. I consider myself to be quite proficient in computer repair, but this one's really got my stumped.

Well, basics first. Hardware setup is:
Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
3400+ Processor
512 RAM
Audigy 2 ZS
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP 2002 Edtn. with Service Pack 2

Here's a basic outline of what I tried.

First, I checked to make sure that nothing was muted. I checked in control panel and in Windows Media Player and Creative's player, whatever that's called. I've checked every option that I can find and nothing is muted, and my devices are correctly selected. I checked by plugging the speakers into the onboard audio and the Audigy 2 ZS. Neither one produced any sound. I also know that the speakers do indeed work.

I also checked in device manager to see if the computer is/was having driver conflicts. It is not indicated there that there are any problems.

I've already tried the sound troubleshooter through Windows Help and it just told me to go ask someone else because it was stumped as well.

Then, since I know the Asus A8V has a bootup speech thing, I plugged the speakers into the onboard audio port and upon startup the motherboard output audio through the speakers.

After that, since I knew that the computer could indeed produce sound, I uninstalled the Creative drivers and then reinstalled them. When I tried to play a sample audio file, the sound came out just fine.

So I thought I was ok until this morning when it started not working again. Once again, I did an exhaustive check of all the various sound options, checked that the mobo could output sound on startup, and uninstalled/reinstalled the Creative drivers. Now, for some reason, that did not provide a fix. So I'm stumped.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help out here: it's much appreciated.

Eejit

I fixed it by removing the Audigy. I don't know why or how or what, but it works now. So GG and we'll leave it as it is. Hopefully this'll help someone else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online