1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Not Coming Out Speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxman727, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saxman727

saxman727 Thread Starter

I'm on my dad's Dell XPS laptop (runs on Vista) and can't get sound. It's apparently been this way for a long time, so I can't begin to guess what triggered the problem. Here's what I am looking at right now:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/7522/mixerjt1.png

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3475/soundry2.png

The driver seems to be working fine based on what those pictures show. I get no error messages. Still though, nothing comes out the laptop speakers. There's headphone jacks on it, and I've tried them with no luck. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi card, but it's not plugged in.

Any help I can get on this would be appreciated!

2. Parkman

Parkman

rightclick the background where it shows the sigmatel audio codec under sound and make sure show disabled and show disconnected items are checked. If you can see speakers enable those as default.

3. saxman727

saxman727 Thread Starter

It's checked, but nothing else shows up. It just has the Simtel listed there. Should there be something else listed there?

4. Parkman

Parkman

check the sound video and game controllers under device manager, do you have 1 or 2 things listed there? Can u take a screen shot after you have expanded that tree?

5. saxman727

saxman727 Thread Starter

Here's what's listed in the device manager under "Sound, video and game controllers:"

[​IMG]

6. Parkman

Parkman

open up control panel, switch to classic view, open up the sigmatel audio console, and find the output control and switch the settings.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice