1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound not working. At all.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillycj, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. individual

individual

Hello Phillycj,

Do you know what make/model your Motherboard is? Could you post it here please. :)
    I would recommend going to the motherboards manufacturers website and downloading the latest Chipset and Audio drivers directly from their site. If you tried this already, ignore this.

Are you using an onboard soundcard or a PCI one?

Cheers,
    Mitch.

3. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I'm not sure. That's all the information I know, the computer itself is an Ei Sysems 106 with 4GB of RAM added as of yesterday, the same time the audio stopped working. The PC is new to me, it was my cousin's before.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the audio stopped at the same time the RAM was added, that might be a clue. Make sure that connections and cards are all as they should be. It is very easy to hit against something when the case is open.

5. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I made sure of that, made sure that everything was plugged in properly afterwards and minimised contact withy her components.

6. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I double checked to make sure it was not a wiring problem, everything looks secure.

7. Patrickkkk

Patrickkkk

Hello Phil,

Something is screaming drivers to me but as I looked at the dxdiag, I can see there is no playback. There appears to be no sound card, which tells me it's on board sound. Could you tell me what audio drivers you were attempting to install?

Also, I noticed you have blank device property, do you still have the windows disc? Go back to sound and audio device and click on hardware and provide a screen shot of that as well if you don't mind. There's a lot of things it could be so let's start simple and narrow the options. Thanks.

8. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I tried reinstalling the Realtek drivers for XP, buth the AC'97 and HD drivers, yet neither work.

I'm not sure if I still have that Windows disc, I'll look around for it.

Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/H61Zo.png

9. Patrickkkk

Patrickkkk

Having the windows disc is really important in the next step because we need some hardware off of it allowing the sound to be installed for on board audio. It looks to me that this computer use to have a sound card and when the computer was given, the sound card was pulled which gives you the problem you are experiencing. If you can't find a disc, MOST computer shops will give you a copy of the hardware on them for around 10-15 dollars.

Also may be of assistance http://www.support.dell.com/

10. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

Still can't find that install disc... I have the Everest report, in case that helps at all.

Attached Files:

11. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

Anybody got any ideas? I really need to get the sound working.

12. Patrickkkk

Patrickkkk

Did you use the above link to find your drivers? Or take the name of your mother board maker and look them up and get them drivers from there?

13. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

My Everest report says that my motherboard name and chipset are unknown. The Dell site isn't allowing me to put in my Service Tag that it gave me through their scanner.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice