Solved Sound not working on anything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zhestee

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and the sound was working fine for the first few days. I additionally got Razer Surround Sound 7.1, and on the same day my sound stopped working on everything except iTunes. No website plays any sound. Not even iTunes plays sound anymore. I'm not sure what i've done, but i know my speakers and headphones aren't faulty as they work on other devices. I uninstalled Razer Surround Sound 7.1 but the issue still persists.

Something i have discovered is that when i go on Volume Mixer, i have 'Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)' and 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)'. When i go onto the 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)', and change the volume, i can hear the little noise it makes to tell you how loud it is. I am positive that it isn't the one i use though, as it only has a volume slider for Skype, and 'Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)' has all the sliders for things i usually see like Google Chrome. When i mess with the volume slider on that, i cannot hear the little noise it makes yet i can see the indicator that noise is being made.

I have looked through other forums for help but have found nothing that fixes my issue.
Someone please help? :(

Typically when you are using on-board sound (Realtek) and using the motherboards line out (green) and then install a sound card, the sound card software usually will make itself the default without your input. That means you have a disparity between which line out will function and which device is set as default. In your Control Panel set to small icon view you should find references to both Realtek and Razer where you can set defaults. There is also a Sound tab in Control panel where you set basic sound settings for the OS. Play around. I have a Creative sound card with the green line out to my speakers so my speaker playback output is set to Creative for me to get sound but my Recording is set to Stereo Mix and Realtek. I had problems too and this is where I ended up and stopped, happy enough I had sound agian.

P.S.
I do not have a Creative sound section in Control Panel because I chose to install drivers only because I do not like Creatives intrusion like software.

Last edited:

Zhestee

Typically when you are using on-board sound (Realtek) and using the motherboards line out (green) and then install a sound card, the sound card software usually will make itself the default without your input. That means you have a disparity between which line out will function and which device is set as default. In your Control Panel set to small icon view you should find references to both Realtek and Razer where you can set defaults. There is also a Sound tab in Control panel where you set basic sound settings for the OS. Play around. I have a Creative sound card with the green line out to my speakers so my speaker playback output is set to Creative for me to get sound but my Recording is set to Stereo Mix and Realtek. I had problems too and this is where I ended up and stopped, happy enough I had sound agian.

P.S.
I do not have a Creative sound section in Control Panel because I chose to install drivers only because I do not like Creatives intrusion like software.
Thank you so much! It's sorted out now. What a lovely community this is :LOL: I just changed my default to 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)' in the control panel and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks again :)

If you leave the Razor sound card out of the system I would say Realtek is fine as your default. But if you want to use the sound card in the system you will need to configure things for it to work, including but not limited to plugging your speakers into the card, not the motherboard connections. Creative has a diagnostic software I can install that helps but I'm not familiar with Razor. On-board sound has greatly improved over the years and many are opting out of the sound card expense. But aficionados would disagree.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online