Sound of laptops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nickkkk

Hello, I've got a few questions concerning the fan noise/general noise of laptops/ultrabooks etc..
I've noticed that a lot of laptops make a fairly audible fan noise. And by this I mean the noise they make even at very low load in a cool well ventilated envoirement. My question is if there is a big difference between several models and does this concern a lot of laptops? For example I've had an acer swift 3 (i5) which made a fairly noisy humming sound. Also a lot of other laptops with i3/i4/i7 make a noticable sound (even if it is just blowing air). Is this normal, and what things/which laptops do I need to take into consideration when I want a more silent laptop without giving up on the laptops performance. Thanks!

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Acer's are generally near the bottom of quality so don't judge all laptops by them. There seems to be some complaints about the Swift 3 being noisy, so maybe they had some bad fans or poor section of a fan.

There's two things that cause noise in computers, fans and hard drives, and maybe an optical(CD\DVD) drive if you leave a disc in it all the time so you might also be hearing the hard drive spinning.

Most laptops under average load/use aren't too loud, if you have a dedicated graphics card then it will likely have more or bigger fans to keep it cool, but all laptops will have a fan and most will run them while the laptop is in use. My Lenovo gaming laptop is pretty quiet until I game on it, my Surface Pro tablet is always silent. Some Lenovo laptops also have power management settings where you can set a preference for acoustics/noise over performance If noise is a concern I would find models you are interested in and read the reviews and search for the model with the keyword "noisy" and see what comes up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online