1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound on my Toshiba

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by waterthedog, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waterthedog

waterthedog Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba that runs on Windows XP, which I think is about a year-and-a-half old. About a month ago, I suddenly lost the sound. At first it just become really hard to hear, then barely audible, and now there is absolutely no sound.

I hooked up some external speakers (which used to work in this computer), and I can't get any sound from them either. Given that, I figure the cause is not the internal speaker hardware.

I've looked at all the sound settings I can find and none are muted and are all set at high levels. Not only can I not hear sound on websites and such, but also the sound effects for the computer (such as the chime I used to hear when an e-mail arrived).

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

2. drumster

drumster

Its possible that the sound jack (where you plugin your speakers) might be giving problems. Sometimes a lose connection can cause this problem.

3. waterthedog

Thanks, Drumster. I checked the connection to the external speakers and it seemed secure. I don't think that connection is the cause because the internal speakers also don't work - whatever it is, it has affected both the internal and external speakers.

4. drumster

drumster

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the soundcard, but make sure you have ur drivers handy..

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "slow failure" points to hardware more than software.
    The only "common" simple place is the output jack (which mutes the internal speakers, but it would be a strange fault that would cause a slow decrease in volume then nothing.

My guess would be a component failure (such as a capacitor) on the motherboard, and given that this is probably (but not stated as such) a laptop, repair may be quite "interesting" if indeed economic.

A laptop PCMCIA or USB soundcard may be the only realistic option in cases of hardware failure.

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I had the same problem with my Toshiba.
    One day the sound levels became faint and reinstalling XP made no improvement.
    As I had a Plantronics USB headset that incorporated , essentially, an external sound card....sound functioned properly thru the head set.
    Wasn't worth the effort for me to go any further with a repair.
    If repairs seem overly expensive, you might consider USB speakers ( not USB powered speakers) or a Plantronics USB headset.

7. waterthedog

Thanks, Kiwiguy and Stoner. This forum is amazing! I had no idea what the deal was. You're right; my Toshiba is a laptop. I'll have to try getting a one of the USB-related options. I just have a couple of questions (please excuse any ignorance these questions might reveal):

1. If I buy a USB soundcard, are external speakers included or would I need to purchase those separately?

2. What's the difference between "USB speakers" and "USB-powered speakers"? Would I need a USB soundcard to hook up those speakers?

By the way, the external speakers I have are from a old Gateway computer from 1997 and do not have a USB port.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

About #1...sorry, I don't know what is currently available right now beyond Plantronics headsets and that at one time USB speakers were available but didn't seem popular.
    A quick Google search found these:
    http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Speakers.html
    (it would be a good idea to search for reviews)

Might be wise to follow this search, also:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USB+speakers&btnG=Google+Search

About #2 .....There are speakers that derive their speaker power thru the USB but also have a connection to the external sound jack, thus a USB powered speaker......that is what you don't want in your case.
    A USB speaker would contain, essentially, it's own sound card and derive power from either the same USB connection or an external adapter..

Good luck :)

9. dirtman1

dirtman1

sorry to butt in but i have a toshiba laptop the tecra range and i have the same problem occuring every week or so,its actually has happened tonight i go into control panel then into sounds and audio devices and it says no audio device installed!..i then have to restart and everything is back to norm?...dont know why it suddenly loses sound but restart always works for me:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!