1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound/Optical Drive/Webcam/Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustinLing, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustinLing

JustinLing Thread Starter

So I'm apparently not the first (nor will I be last) dissatisfied Pavilion user.

I have a HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop and it's been a pretty sweet resource for the past couple of years. For the most part, I really love the majority of things about it and, for the time being, I'm too broke to upgrade to a newer model.

Anyway, about 6 months ago I started running into problems with my optical drive. The basic situation was that me and the laptop had a disagreement about whether or not it existed. It had been working the day previous and then just wouldn't open when I pressed the button. Upon some convincing (sticking a paperclip in the manual release) I managed to get the laptop to open and close it at the push of a button (works sporadically, however works all the time while in BIOS. I can't, however, boot from the cd tray.)

Around the same time I had issues booting. Windows would either freeze in the resuming screen after hibernation or it would get past it, only to give me a black screen and a blinking cursor (I've waited on this thing for hours. It's stuck.)

I brushed both off as minor inconveniences.

More recently my webcam did the same thing. It isn't recognized by windows and is impossible to find. Just today, the same story happened with my speakers and microphones.

And when I say that Windows doesn't recognize it, I mean that the drivers say the media doesn't exist when I go to reinstall them, the device manager doesn't have them listed and the computer generally can't locate them.

I should point out that I suspect the issue might be BIOS related. Here's the catch; I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop that is capable, but unsupported by HP. That means trying to update BIOS through HP's utilities tells me my laptop does not support the new version.

However, it's not a Windows 7 issue. I upgraded after I experienced the optical drive and webcam issues (I'd hope it would resolve it.) I had also updated my BIOS prior to upgrading to Windows 7.

I've done a fair bit of troubleshooting and most of the solutions that work for the myriad of people with these issues don't cut it for me. That includes trying the dozens of other drivers for other systems, models and computers. Nadda.

So here's a few screenshots of some relevant info. Hopefully you can help.

FYI under the 'System Information' window, if I go to Sound Device or CD-Rom, it's entirely blank.

If you folks could offer any help, I'd be insanely thankful.

Attached Files:

2. JustinLing

JustinLing Thread Starter

I should also point out that when installing any drivers, it usually comes back with "Cannot find the MEDIA." (or something akin to that.)

Another strange thing that may have nothing to do with anything, but in my taskbar I used to have a little icon over my battery telling me that I should consider replacing it (I should, it's crap.) But yesterday, that went away as soon as my speakers started acting up (there's now a little warning symbol over my speakers)

Anyway, here's the results of the troubleshooting.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice