1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Output

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Hrumachis334, Jun 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334 Thread Starter

I just noticed today when I was going to listen to some MP3's that my sound card makes a buzz on the output jack, a really high buzz you can't hear anything but the buzz and a small echo of the music. I'm 100% sure its in the output jack, I also tryed hooking up my headphones to the card and I got that buzzing noise in the headphones too. I didn't hot plug the speakers, and theres nothing wrong with them I have been listening to them all day through my cd player so there has to be some hardware problem. I messed around with the settings and nothing changed. I have rebooted my computer several times and messed with the connection jacks to my amp and still no change. I just used the output jack the other day when watching a dvd and it worked fine. The only thing that would effect the system that I've done to my computer since I watched the dvd is that I ran windows disk defragmenter and I got an error lke 30 seconds after the screen saver came on(I forgot to disable it). I have windows 98, AMD Duron 800 MHZ processor, 192 mb of ram, 40 gig drive. I've gone through the hardware settings and nothing has changed in the sound card drivers.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Hrumachis334
    Usually when any piece of audio electronics has that irritating buzzing sound with faint music in background a physical ground is missing or a leak to ground has occurred.
    You may have developed a problem in your audio card or with external connections.
    Make sure all you physical connections to the card are good.
    You may also want to remove the card from you PC and clean all the contacts on the card and reinsert.
    After all above is tried you may want to remove the audio card from device manager and reinstall all your drivers.
    If reinstalling and cleaning all contacts does not solve the problem you may have a defective card.
    Dave

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

If you have a cable for the CD to the sound card, or any other cable running close to the sound card such as a Tad line etc..., try rerouting them into a different area. They could pickup a stray siginal from another source and transfer it to a pickup coil or some other open ungrounded device on the card. The removal, cleaning of contacts and reinstallation of drivers as davey7549 sugested would be a great first step as the cables will necessally be moved in the process.

4. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334 Thread Starter

I just unplugged my tv from the card and it seems to be working fine. Sorry for wasting your time but thanks for the responses.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice