1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound plays from speakers and headphones...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaximusTheGrate, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximusTheGrate

MaximusTheGrate Thread Starter

I have a laptop and I was using my headphones fine for ages then one day I shut it down and when I opened it again the sound came from both speakers and the headphones. The laptop doesn't even recognise the headphones so that when I plug them in, nothing happens to the laptop, it just plays sound through both. It doesn't show up in the disables devices in sound and I have reinstalled the drivers but nothing works. I have tried this with all headphones and earphones in the house and the computer recognised none. It has been like this for a while now and nothing has changed.
    I'm running windows 10.
    the problem was sudden, nothing changed when it occurred.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

There is a possibility that your particular model laptop has a switch in the headphone jack that senses when a plug is inserted and signals the sound controller of that fact. If that is the case for your laptop, then the switch may be dirty or broken, or its connection to the motherboard is broken.

If you tell us the brand and full model number of your laptop, someone here may be able to further assist you to determine if you have a switch problem or some other type of problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice