1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Pops and Cracks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bladewalker, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bladewalker

bladewalker Thread Starter

Long time reader, first time poster. :)

I just built a new system:
    Giga-Byte GA8IPE1000-L Mobo
    P4 2.6 Ghz 800 FSB
    Sapphire 9600XT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    40 Gig Seagate
    80 Gig WD
    DVD-RW
    CD-RW

It all is working great, breaking the normal benchmarks for a system of it's type... it is also basically untweaked, being only a few days old. The only imported component from my old system is the Turtle Beach (and monitor, mouse, etc). Now on to the problem...

I get faint pops, cracks, and in games I get static disruptions on sound. I have tried everything to isolate the cause including:
    1. Tried both onboard sound and the Turtle Beach
    2. Tried 2 different sets of speakers and directly plugging in headphones.
    3. Tried the main output and the versajack output on the Turtle Beach.
    4. I updated the Bios
    5. I updated the mobo chipset drivers
    6. I checked IRQ conflicts
    7. I tried DirectX 8 but am now on DirectX 9.0b
    8. I tried another power strip and another wall outlet

The problem persists on all of the above... even on the onboard sound. I'm at a loss as to what to try next or what the cause could be. My last guess is codec problems (but I don't know much about how to approach that) or a problem with the motherboard (again, how could I tell?). Thanks for any input... 90 percent of what I do on this system is music, games, or other sound related things. Thanks again. :)

2. RSM123

RSM123

Greetings,

Just one suggestion here you might look into :

If you go Start > Run - type DXDIAG to bring up the DirectX Interface then click the Audio and Graphics tabs at the top ... and in each one try adjusting Hardware Acceleration up / down.

3. bladewalker

Still getting it even on no acceleration. Did you mean that I should play with the hardware acceleration on video also?

BTW I'm on Windows XP Pro (forgot that above)

Also, could a mini-freezer 2 feet from my tower cause the problem? Not sure about electrical interferce but I already tried other power strips and outlets... however the tower has been beside the freezer this whole time. Perhaps I'll shut it off and see what happens. :)

4. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Though you have a great system there - I wasn't sure how much Ram you had .... I was assuming at least 512mb given the other specs. However adjusting H/ware Accel. sometimes helps if you're pretty much maxed out in some games.

Are you shutting down all non essential apps ?

5. bladewalker

Yeah I have a single 512 stick of PC3200 right now (getting another soon for dual channel ddr)... I got into services and disabled all un-needed services today in my attempts to fix it also, so I have no apps running I don't need.

It does it just playing mp3's in windows media player with no other apps running.

6. RSM123

RSM123

Not sure what else to suggest here - the above idea worked for me on the one occasion I got the crackle through my spkrs ... it was during a car rally game with an in game co driver navigator giving you the route ahead. In my case it was due to limited system resources.

Other than the above you might try other drivers.

As regards other electrical appliances - you might see if moving them away has any bearing, though I thought most modern speakers were shielded to prevent such an occurence.

7. bladewalker

Ok, thanks for your help. Is there any possibility it could be the motherboard or conflicting sound codecs?

8. RSM123

RSM123

Hi again,

Not sure on either count.

Did you look in Device Manager under Sound / Audio heading ? Are there are any Red or Yellow ? or ! Marks there ??

As an aside you might grab this utility if you don't have it :

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

Its a freebie and will give you a detailed summary of everything in your system.

After running click System icon > then Summary ... you'll get a profile like Device Manager, and for many components there are hotlinks to the relevant website allowing you to update drivers directly should the need arise.

9. bladewalker

Ah cool, thanks again! :) My Device Manager is free of any errors and conflicts... I even reassigned IRQ's that were shared with the sound and video cards today to be sure that wasn't it (even though WinXP said it was fine).

I will try that software, thank you.

10. RSM123

RSM123

11. bladewalker

Thanks I'll keep looking, I appreciate your time... I'm baffled by this problem. :(

12. RSM123

RSM123

Good luck,

Remember I'll gladly take the pc off your hands :eek: :D

13. bladewalker

14. Ash_11

Ash_11

Your Turtle Beach may be the problem. It a cheap card, if I remember correctly, they were OEM cards for Dell. Did you uninstall the drivers for it when you tried the onboard card? If I were you I would try a fresh install of your O/S without the turtle beach card and drivers. And give it a try.

15. bladewalker

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is considered a cheap card? Never heard that before.... I bought it retail because it had more bang for the buck than Creatives products in the less than 100 bucks range.

Yeah I did remove the drivers when I tried the onboard sound... I'm pretty sure it's not the soundcard since it happens on both the onboard and it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice