1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound problem in XP, Realtek works but sound is gone

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by averrips, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averrips

averrips Thread Starter

Since a week now i have very frustrating problems with the sound in Windows XP. When i start my pc skype says that he hasn't found recording hardware. Itunes doesn't work, like Windows Media Player, Winamp etc. The sound is gone (and i didn't change anything :confused: )
    I tried to fix it myself...and probably i messed up a bit more, cause i disabled a driver that seemed to have a problem, but i don't remember what the name was. Now not only the programs have no sound anymore, but windows is silent too... It sure wasn't the driver of my soundcard (Realtek AC'97, which works fine when i play test sounds with the realtek Sound Effect software).
    I installed Everest and he doesn't find any Windows Audio, and says the realtek has "noDB" (no database i suppose).
    When i am in the music tab of the "Diagnostic help program for DirectX" (or something familiar to that, while i translate it from the dutch "Diagnostisch hulpprogramma voor DirectX") "windows synthesizer" test sound doesn't play, but the realtek does.

Any ideas? Should i reinstall Windows or upgrade to vista, or is it a less hopeless situation as i'm used to think now...

Thanks a lot for you help
    Arnoud

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you get a CDs with the PC with any drivers on?

Try this for your sound Restore Sound - Windows Audio Service

Restart the PC and see

3. averrips

averrips Thread Starter

Thanks Bonk.
    The problem is that it isn't the soundcard driver. The card does play sounds, but only the test sounds that only need the driver and the hardware, not the Windows part of the sound.
    And the restore sound didn't work either. :S it's a strange problem...
    Arnoud

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice