1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound problem when scrolling

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trboy13, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trboy13

Trboy13 Thread Starter

I have a problem that when ever I am playing music(be it in winamp or in media player) the sound will mess up when i am scrolling in ie or just moving any window around. It sounds almost like the processor is being bogged down or something, but i'm running a 950 duron and this should not be a problem. It might be a sound driver problem(xp gave me that "will not work" message" but i ignored it and installed the old driver anyways), but i dont know what kind of sound card thingy i have since its onboard sound. So i dont know what drivers to get. I built the computer myself, so tech support is not there. Any Ideas?

well i found the new sound card drivers but that didn't fix the problem. :( I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A couple of ideas to try and figure out what chip the onboard sound card uses so you can locate appropriate drivers.

Since you built this system yourself, your motherboard manual should have this information.

Look under your system properties to see what type is listed. Since you stated that you used an older version and XP told you that it would not work, it sounds like you had the old disks which should give you enough info to be able to find a manufacturer. Open up the Control Panel and go to Sounds and Multimedia. Go to the hardware tab and it should list your card in there.

Sometimes the bios will list information about onboard devices. For example, I have some machines here that have the onboard NIC listed.

There is always opening up the case and seeing if you can see any chips by sound card manufacturers. Some names to look for include ESS, Yamaha, Turtle Beach and Sound Blaster. There are probably others out there also.

3. Trboy13

Trboy13 Thread Starter

well since the sound card driver didn't fix it i'm trying the video driver. Since the sound messes up when a large portion of the screen is moved, so my video might have an effect.

Updating video driver had no effect. I knew it probably wouldn't, but hey, i can hope cant I.... I'm running Ie6 and i've heard of people having problembs with it. Do you think this could be the problem. I don't know, i'm going to be now.

If you can think of any other reason or solution I would be grateful.

well, my video couldn't handle moving that much stuff around in the high resolution, so i just lowered it to 800x600 and it works find(despite the fact that everything is way to big). I guess i'll just have to spend some money and get a real video card.

so problem solved, and thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice