1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flrman1, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

I am getting this aweful screeching sound while listening to music and using my computer. If I am listening to music while browsing the internet or even if just browsing through my documents folder or any folder for that matter when I scroll down the page with the scrollbar it makes this annoying screeching sound as it scrolls.

I read somewhere in a thread a reference to some motherboards that have conflicts or something like that with PCI sound. I am wondering if this is what is causing this or what? It appeared to have stopped for a while a few days ago but now it's back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

2. bigfriday

bigfriday

yeah man,...i got the exact same problem,...and it really annoys me as i have just baught some new speakers
    ...that screaching noise rips straight thru ya,......i have no idea on how to fix it,...tried new drivers,..no change,.....i noticed it started to happen when i upgraded to xp,......someone must know how to help us,......someone somewhere,.................heeeelp,.!!!

3. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

Welcome to TSG bigfriday!

I was just wondering if you could tell me about your hardware such as motherboard, soundcard etc... The reason I ask is I am just curious as to whether we have the same or similar hardware. I have been trying to figure this out for months. This is the second time I have posted this problem. The first time I posted someone suggested reinstalling or repairing IE6. I did that and thought it corrected the problem but it did not. I have found that occassionally it will not make that noise yet very seldom is this the case. Not only that but I have also discovered that it is not limited to internet browser as I pointed out in my original post in this thread. I hope someone will come along that has an idea.

Let me assure you that this is the exception and not the rule here. I would say that 99% of the time you will find your answers here. I encourage you to add this site to your favorites as you will find very knowledgeable and courteous people here.

I'm still not giving up on this one:D

4. Rockn

Rockn

And it only happens when you are listening to music? Do you have a microphone plugged in that isn't muted and is fairly close to your speakers? I am thinking feedback!

5. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

No Microphone even plugged in to this PC.

6. bigfriday

bigfriday

hi guys,.. the system i'm runnin' is,.. athlon gig processor,..512 sd ram,..geforce 4 440mx graphics,.creative labs 16 sound card,..i dont know the motherboard type,......this problem arose just after installin xp professional,,........and i have no idea as to why,..had no problems before with millenium edition(apart from it crashin' every twelve seconds) must be something simple i have over looked,.......tried updating drivers,.....nae joy,.....i am very close to buying a new sound card,...but then will that fix the problem?,.....boo hoo hoo,...my lovely new speakers are gettin ripped apart everytime i access the internet or even the visuals my media players cause massive distortion,.......sends a shiver down my spine ,.........

7. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

I have an idea that the problem in the thread below may be coming from the same source as mine.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=116031

Maybe someone has some ideas about whether moving the soundcard to a different PCI slot is a possible resolution.

possibly the PCI latency patch is needed

any ideas?

8. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

Well I finally installed the PCI Latency patch and it seems to have solved my sound problem.

bigfriday if you haven't solved yours yet here is the info. I believe you were not sure what motherboard you had, but i feel sure that you have a VIA chipset (the PCI latency patch is only for VIA Chipsets) but if you are still having the problem you can go to the link below and download AIDA32. Once you have downloaded it click on the file and it will install AIDA32. Once it is installed you can click on it and it will generate a comprehensive file of all the hardware, software etc... on your computer. You can find your motherboard and chipset and all the details.

http://www.aida32.hu/download/aida32pe_330.exe

Once you have determined that you do have a VIA Chipset you can check out the link below to determine if the patch is for your motherboard and chipset.

http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

If you determine that the patch is appropriate for you you can go to this next link and download and install the patch and that's it.

http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip

Good Luck. I hope it works for you or anyone else who may be experiencing this annoying problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice