Sound problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigboy

Hi,

Earlier this week, guys from TSG helped to solve me from the Spyaxe problem (see thread: Major problem - Spyaxe)

DVK01 and Flrman1 then tried to help me with my HJT-log (which did not show much) and the slow start-up (140 seconds). Despite all the software downloaded and run, no virus showed up. With step 5.2 on this webpage ( http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html ) I cut down the start-up time to 90-100 seconds! Great!

The Spysweeper does mention 3 items and 6 traces of cws-aboutblank, coolwebsearch(cws) and wildmedia; But it doesn't do anything with them (no removal, items seem to be inactive). ALL the other SW (CWS, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and Hitman Pro 2.3.2 Anti-Spyware) do not show any other viruses.

I still get daily one or two unsollicited spam e-mails, but I can't tell if this is computervirus generated or not.

The most important problem is a sound problem that started at about the same time of the Spyaxe-virus (or during the removal with smitRem in safe mode). It sounds like "Tok" whenever I click on a link/button in IE or on a folder in WE. Applying step 5.4 on the aforementioned webpage has removed all windows sounds (media player is working fine). Yet amazingly, when I get a spam e-mail, or when accessing certain webpages (like the TSG website or the yahoo), the sound comes back (so not in WE or most of the IE-webpages). Is there still a virus lurking in my computer or not, and how can I get rid of the sound?

Thanks for your advice. I included the most recent HJT-log.

***HJT***

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:29:14, on 1/01/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.solarmonitor.org/index.php
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - (no file)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

bigboy

Hi,

It is/was turned off. Right above where you can change the individual items (WE,...) there is a bar called "sound scheme". I selected "no sound". This makes I should not here any of these sounds (e.g. the start-up Windows tune I don't here). So I still here sometimes a sound when clicking to/on particular websites (like TSG right now).

Interestingly, the individual list does not seem to mention Internet Explorer... which may help to explain a bit why the problem has not gone entirely away. Still don't feel confortable.

Thanks.

bigboy

Hi,

I also tried this one out from the same website (I added it to my favorites), as it described my problem quite well: http://windows.about.com/od/tipsarchive/l/bltip591.htm

Unfortunately, number 591 did not solve my problem either. There are other items in the non plug list, but not sure which ones I might disable to get rid of the noise.

Perhaps I should do the procedure in safe mode?

Thanks for your advice.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
HI, Windows Explorer and IE use the same basic components for the most part> you can get online using WE address bar the same as you were in IE, and vice versa, you can explore the hard drive in IE by typing a filepath in that address bar...try it, it works. They don't have a separate whole sound settings or scheme for IE...but>

Open Control Panel>Internet Options

Hit the Advanced tab, scroll down to Multimedia....and uncheck "Play sounds in web pages"

Though I don't think that will help, I am wondering if it could be the culprit....

bigboy

Hello,

This one was not turned off, but after I unchecked it and clicked apply, the sound still persisted. It's amazing it's just with a couple of websites (at the moment only 2 out of a few dozens I checked). It's also amazing it can overrun these 3 settings I have made by now.

Thanks!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Post one of the sites that produces the sound and I will look at it. (or perhaps, listen to it!) thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online