1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oddben88, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddben88

oddben88 Thread Starter

Hello-

Recently, my 5.1 speakers have stopped working properly.
    The two outer left and right speakers don't work anymore. Only the Center, Main Left, Main Right, and Subwoofer work.

I tried downloading the latest driver for my sound card (sound blaster live! 5.1) but when I run it, the program cannot find a Sound Blaster Live card. (I tried the regular sound blaster live! driver as well). However if I look under device manager->sound, video, game controller and dxdiag, the card is listed as working properly.

Another thing is that in device manager, there is a "multimedia audio controller" under "other devices". I've had that for a while but didn't think much of it because my speakers were working normally at the time.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but while playing Day of Defeat:Source and Counter-Strike:Source, I get very choppy sounds. After having this problem for a while the games now crash after the load screen and force me to restart my whole computer. Reinstalling the games didn't have any effect.

I am using Windows xp sp2, a sound blaster live! 5.1, and I think Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers. Picture of them here: http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/z640.jpg

2. norton850

norton850

I would delete the Multimedia audio controller under Other Devices, but since it was always there it may not solve anything. Are all your settings correct in control panel under Sounds and Audio Devices? If you remember when this started you can do a System Restore to a date before the problem began. Try uninstalling the sound card in Device Manager and rebooting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice