1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hoggyland, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

I am unable to get clear sound when playing DVD's. Although there is sound it is very jerky and unclear. The sound on my computer is fine and also when I play audio CD's.

My sound card appears to be AC'97 and I run Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the spec of the PC - it may not be able to cope with DVD and sound - you may just need to stop some of the start up programs and run the DVD on its own

3. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Thanks Etaf for your reply

I am sure my computer system is adequate because The sound has been Okay previously. The only thing I can think that might be relevant is that I have installed Windows XP recently. Because I do not play DVd's that often I cannot be sure if the problem started at that time.

My computer details are

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHZ
    256 MB PC2100 DDR Ram
    40GB HDD
    AC97 Sound

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. By the way it is only the sound which is the problem when playing DVD's

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did it play DVD's OK in the past with XP
    - is this a re-instal or did you upgrade from win98 or 2K
    did you install all the drivers Motherboard, sound, graphics etc

256MB is the lowest you can run XP on and usually you need 512MB - if you have lots of programs in startup this could be the problem too

5. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Thanks again for your help. I have closed any programs that are running on my PC in the background ie Ativirus etc . There is no change, the sound is still there but very jerky.

With regards to Windows XP it was an official upgrade from Windows ME.

I cannot be sure about installing the drivers etc I just followed the instructions given on the Windows XP installation disc. Sorry about that.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may need to download the latest sound driver for XP
    plus has it ever worked on XP
    whats the make model of the PC ?

you may want to run belarc so we can see the details of mobo and soundcard

www.belarc.com

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect you may have the DVD in PIO mode, check in Device Manager to see if that's the case. All the IDE devices should be running in DMA mode.

[​IMG]

8. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, both of you. I am unsure if the sound problem has only started since I installed Windows XP and I will see if I can obtain a new driver.

I have looked in Device manager and it would appear the settings are for DMA although there are shown two Deices the first '0' and the other '1' the first is set in DMA but on one occasion the '1' is set on PIO mde.

I shall investigate both suggestions more and will get back to you when I can many thanks to you both.

9. r3drock3t88

r3drock3t88

Hmm... if you are using Windows Media player to play the video, i suggest stopping right there, downloading either DIVX - http://www.divx.com/ or VLC Media - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I have had some problems with many things in windows media player...mainly because thats how windows works :p ... check both of them out, theyre both equally as good in my opinion... it could just be a sound codec problem running through your windows media.

let me know if that works out for you.

10. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi rrdrock3t88

I have tested the sound by using both Realplayer and Windows Media player, no difference. I am still investigating the other suggestions that has been posted

11. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

My sound problem has been solved.

Looking at the possibility of upgrading my AC'97 sound driver I went to Device Manager. Under the sound area I found that reference to AC'97 had an exclamation mark or something next to it. Opening it the comments were that this device was not operating because there was no compatable driver installed. I installed the original driver and the sound became loud and clear on my DVD's.

I am unsure how I was able to receive sound without that driver installed and there would not have been a problem other than the distortion when playing DVD's.

You will probably be able to make sense of what was wrong but my lack of knowledge prevents me from doing so.

Many thanks for all your help especially etaf who suggested I may have a driver problem

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice