1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound problems after tampering with the registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bd91, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bd91

bd91 Thread Starter

My problem all began because my CD Drive was being unrecognised by my PC. So I search around for a solution (as I've had this problem before, and though it had been corrected after my first drive died on me and I had it replaced) and I found one on this forum, the poster advised me to save/merge something into my registry (I know very little about computer programming/code) so I did it, and it looked like everything had been fixed. However, now I'm having problems with the audio from my computer, and when I try and open iTunes I get a message saying something about the driver being changed because the registry has changed, and all audio from any games/other programs are shot. I have absolutely no idea what's gone wrong, my only clue is the dialogue box upon iTunes opening claiming something's up with the registry. The message and code I merged into my registry is available upon request. Can anyone help?

**also, my cd drive is no longer being recognised. Again.

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you yet done a XP system restore attempt to a day before this issue ? Also there is a; "Last Known Good Configuration" option available when booted into your safe mode menu, (Advanced Options Menu).

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

4. bd91

bd91 Thread Starter

To Telecom69:
    That was what I did to try and fix my cd drive previously, and it seemed to work for a while, but now I'm more interested in fixing my audio issues first.

To jrbuergel:
    I'll try that and see if it works,

Thanks to both of you for the advice, I'll let you know any further developments.

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya bd91.

Try uninstalling the audio drivers including any associated sub-programs. Reboot. Then re-installing them again and reboot and use the opportunity to check for any updated ones for your particular audio chip.

Jenny

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice