1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound problems and missing volume icon

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Spookie, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

Hello to all. I hope that someone can help me out with the sound problems that I am having on my computer. I've tried searching the site, but nothing came up which pertained specifically to my problem.

Recently, after my computer boots up, I get the following message:

SB AWE32 MIDI Synth Cannot load default synthesizer bank
    **Read error in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYNTHGM.SBK**

Along with that, the little speaker icon in the system tray is missing. This just started happening a couple of days ago after my son was viewing a video clip on one of the sites he goes too. He said that when he went to turn the volume down, the speaker icon disappeared.

I've gotten the above message before on rare occasion and I've never had problems with the sound. But this time around, the sound is acting a little funny. Sometimes it sounds fine, sometimes it sounds distorted and full of static. Sometimes the above mentioned message appears when I start up, and sometimes it doesn't. But regardless, my volume icon is still missing.

I would appreciate it so much if someone could help me work this problem out. Many thanks in advance!

Also, I am running Windows 98SE.

2. JayT

JayT

To get your volume control back, go to Control Panel-Multimedia-and check "show volume control on taskbar".

3. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

Jay, thanks for your quick reply. That's what the problem was with the missing icon. I went to Multipedia Properties and the "show volume control on taskbar" was greyed and unable to be checked. But I noticed that in the "preferred device" drop down menu, "(Use any available device)" was chosen. When I selected "SB16 Wave Out[220]", it checked itself and all is fine now. :)

Any idea how it could have gotten changed without me doing it? I did a virus scan and all came up fine.

Also, would this have anything to do with the message and the distorted sound that I get occasionally?

Thanks again! :)

4. JayT

JayT

You are very welcome. I'm glad it's fixed.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

On the distorted sound issue, is anything else sharing the same IRQ as the sound card?

On the error message, take a look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. What are the contents of both?

6. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply too, AcaCandy. Sorry for the slow reply, as I've been busy this morning and am just now able to sit down at the computer for a couple of hours. My volume icon is still there but I got the error message again twice this morning and my sound is distorted again also.

As for your questions, I'm still pretty much a novice at this, so I don't exactly understand how to find the information you asked for regarding the contents of the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Also, how do I go about finding out if anything is sharing the same IRQ as the sound card?

I've noticed too that this thread has been labeled as "solved". Should I make a new topic or can a moderator take this off for us?

Thanks again in advance for any help. :)

7. ~Candy~

I took it off, I guess earlier it was reported as solved.

Start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok......go to those two tabs and post the contents here.

Then to check your IRQs, start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

8. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

Thanks again AcaCandy.

There was nothing in autoexec.bat or config.sys .

As for the IRQs, here is what I copied from there:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play
    6 (free)
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Lucent Win Modem
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Creative Labs IDE controller
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

I hope this helps.

9. ~Candy~

Can we double check to see which sound card you have?

Also, can you check to see what drivers it is using? Highlight the sound card entry in device manager and go to properties, drivers, driver file details, what is the version?

10. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

How do I find out which sound card that I have? Or did I just do that and not know it? lol You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, I'm still learning. :)

11. ~Candy~

Did it come with the computer? Or did you install it?

12. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

It came with the computer. It's a second hand computer that a relative built for himself and gave to me a little over a year ago.

13. ~Candy~

14. ~Candy~

Check the drivers for me too, while you're at it ;)

15. Spookie

Spookie Thread Starter

I downloaded what you suggested and I think I got the information you are asking for.

If the sound card is under the "Multimedia" section of the Belarc Advisor, , here is what was listed under it:
    Multimedia
    Creative Advanced Wave Effects Synthesis for AWE 32
    Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play
    Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
    Wave Device for Voice Modem

As for the file version, provided that my sound card is either "Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play" or "Creative Advance Wave Effects..", the File Version for both of those were 4.37.00.1998 .

I hope I got all this right and havent left anything out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice