1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Problems - Help Please?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MeadowLark9, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeadowLark9

MeadowLark9 Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I was listening and enjoying some cd's on my computer until Sunday. Suddenly, I have no sound.
    I've tried going to Control Panel and opening up my sounds etc. Everything in there is normal. I've shut the computer down( done several reboots!) even restored 3 different times/dates. No good.
    I'm lost. the computer is an HP Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005. the speakers are "within the monitor" which is a ViewSonic.
    I'm running Windows XP and yes everything is "valid."
    LOL! I'm being driven batty by no noise from my "box" Help:)?
    MeadowLark

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried removing the sound in device manager, then allow windows to find it again and put back good drivers?

3. MeadowLark9

ACK!! I'm illiterate with this "box" that makes no noise! sigh...
    How do I do that? Please?
    MeadowLark

4. ~Candy~

Right click on my computer from the start menu, then properties, then device manager.

Scroll down to sound and remove everything.

5. MeadowLark9

Do you mean all of the stuff with wierd names?
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Drivers
    Media Control Devices
    RealTekHigh Definition Audio
    and Video Codecs. ( AM I looking at the right stuff?
    not smart MeadowLark....sigh...

6. MeadowLark9

Please? I dont want to dump it and make a mistake if I'm in the wrong place... I really am computer illiterate.... I'm just nervy aobut doing this without double checking. ummm .. I didn't see where I could delete; if I right click it does say "uninstall"... this is what I want????

7. MeadowLark9

Hey! I dont know what happened; but I heard a second or two of sound.. then it went silent again! I havent deleted or uninstalled anything yet. I'm confused. I did hit the buttons to "Update Drivers" all of those weird names. What should I do?
    MeadowLark

8. ~Candy~

Check the connections to your speakers.

9. MeadowLark9

The speakers are within my monitor. I have checked to make sure that the wires are all plugged properly.sigh.. .I dont know how to check that. Help?

10. MeadowLark9

LOL! Hubby came home and attached a set of headphones from an mp3Player... sigh.. the headphones work! So he says "it's in either the wires going to the monitor or the monitor where the speakers are, as we've done nothing."
    Any other suggestions?

11. MeadowLark9

Solved!!! He called View Sonic and we're under warrantee still! Yippee!!! They are sending a new cable that goes from computer to the monitor. That is supposed to take care of it:) Thankyou Candy:)

12. ~Candy~

Let us know.....strange that it would go out. Monitor speakers are crappy at best and sometimes they even stop working :eek:

13. MeadowLark9

I received the new cable today. :) sigh... it tried to work ... it really did. I accidentally bumped the number two button on the monitor and got sound! (lost the picture!) So, I called their support. Two supervisors later ( who never heard of this happening before) decided to send me a mailing label to return it to them in exchange for another monitor. ( Hopefully it will work.!)
    So for now, I'll struggle visually with a much smaller monitor and a
    setting of 75mhz that still causes the screen to flicker enough to give me headaches. ( wonderful visual impairment problems.)

If you've any suggestions for a monitor that will work at high mhz as in at least 85mhz til my sight goes bye-bye further... Please assist?Tell me what I need to find. I'll be glad for the info.
    I"m still quite young (48) and I guess diabetes will take my eyes. I'd like to be able to get on the internet for at least another 20 years:)
    Thankyou all for your help. I'll look forward to seeing your answers.
    MeadowLark

14. ~Candy~

Yeah, I didn't that a new cable would work..........

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice