1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Problems in WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Johnny Do, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnny Do

Johnny Do Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently upgraded my OS from Win98Se to WInXP Pro. This happened as soon as I got the updated driver for my modem. I tried to upgraded few months ago without the uses of the modem then I uninstall winXp. At that time, my sound card was working fine. But now, after I installed the modem, it's working ok but then the sound is not. Right now, I can't play any Cd, can't play an audio file in Sound Scheme of WinXp...Eveytime I attemped to do so, I got an error message that says, for example when i tried to play a CD track: "Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding." When I opened an audio scheme, I got this message: "Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Error.wag. Your sound card may be in use".
    What can I do?
    -------------
    I tried to remove the audio driver and reinstalled it(the WinXp driver) but it also didn't work. My Sound driver is: CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device. The manufacturer is C-media. Website is: www.cmedia.com.tw/
    -------------
    One helpful info is that: in my Modem Properties box, under "location:", I see: PCI bus 0, device 12, function 1.
    While in my Audio Device Properties, under "location:", I see:
    PCI bus 0, device 12, function 0. Is it because both device use same bus(0) and device(12) and since, the sound card was installed after the modem that it couldn't work. That's my suggestion, what's yours?
    THanks so much.
    Johnnny
    -------------
    If you need more info, please give me your email I will give you more details if you like.

2. Problem3PC

Problem3PC

3. Problem3PC

Problem3PC

I've seen this a few times, & also seen a few supposed fixes ...... I personally have repaired this twice .... by reinstalling the sound driver for the actual motherboard (eg Abit/ ASUS etc).... but in both cases, they were onboard sound cards?????

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I have the same sound card, if you have the CD that came with it put it in the drive and let it run (or click on setup.exe in the root) then click on 'Install Device Driver'.

5. Problem3PC

Problem3PC

no can do as the sound chip is onboard & no cd was supplied with the motherboard. Although i have downloaded the relevant driver for the Abit motherboard & reinstalled.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice