1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Problems (no, not that X-fi stuff)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by reynoljg, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

My sound works fine except that after a few minutes it starts to distort, as if gurgling. Plainly, it sounds like it is under water. Then, after another 30 seconds or so, it will finally give a high pitched pop and then just shut off. All I have to do is close the program (doesn't matter what, anything that uses sound. avi, dvd, mp3, video game, whatever) and then restart and it is clear as day. Yet after a minute or so it is back to where it was. I have tried downloading Creative's beta Vista driver but it just makes it so my card is unrecognized.

I have had this happen to me with XP but it was simply my computer getting chugged down by too many memory intensive programs running. In this case (aside from Vista, of course) there is nothing else running. I've tried to keep everything down to a minimum to sort of trouble shoot it.

I'm lost.

P4 3.0Ghz HT
    1G RAM
    GForce 7800 GTX
    SB Audigy 2 ZS

2. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

Can someone toss me a little help with this? It is getting worse and to the point that I can't even do my homework (audio... obviously).

3. techy689

techy689

Do you have one memory card or two?

Are both working?

Try running a pc hardware diagnostic tool.

4. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

Any recommendations? I know I have one but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.. starts with a B.

Do you mean 1 solid stick of RAM or two? I think it is two 512s.

5. techy689

techy689

Alright, do a test and see if both are functioning or not.

6. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

It would appear they are.. my computer is registering 1g ram.

7. techy689

techy689

So we know the memory is good. Have you tried running Microsoft update and downloading all available updates for hardware.. etc.?

8. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

Yes, everything is absolutely up to date.

9. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

So much so, in fact, that I just got another update that was released a few minutes ago. Still no good.

What hardware diagnostic software do you suggest that wont cost me money and does a listing in text that I can copy/paste onto here? I know of one that starts with a B.. Barlot.. Bariat... I don't know.

10. techy689

techy689

Well I know if you have an HP computer they have free tests for your hp hardware... check with ure manufacturer.... also run the vista hardware/driver compatibility test and see what it turns out.

11. techy689

techy689

That is still quite interesting... you say the memory was the problem for sound issues?

Also, I know on XP, after I downloaded a new sound driver for my computer, the speakers started making similar sounds. I ended up rolling back a driver.

Did you try contacting the speaker's manufacturer?

12. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

I don't see how it could be the speaker's problem. Not only that, I just did a fresh reformat and tested the speakers/sound card in XP before installing the upgrade. Everything was fine. After the reinstall, the speakers started acting up again.

I guess at this moment in time I'm just going to chalk it up to drivers and hope for the best.

PS: Microsoft has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Also, I don't think Creative is going to assist me as they have the same shoddy tech support as Microsoft.

13. reynoljg

reynoljg Thread Starter

In my Device Manager it shows that my "Creative Game Port" is disabled and not functioning correctly. Does that pretty much say that it is the driver's fault?

Code:
    This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.

14. techy689

techy689

Enable the device....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice