1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound problems with hp windows 8 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dtr76, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtr76

dtr76 Thread Starter

i have been having sound problems with my hp dv6 windows 8 laptop its like 4 months old and one day the head phones stopped working but if i unplugged them the speakers did then a day later head phones work again i sent it into hp they said it passed all the sound tests and i got it back today and the same problem i was listening to a youtube song and the song cut out even though it was still playing i unplug it and my speakers arent working either yet i can hear system sounds in my head phones when i go to my play back devices all i have is communication head phones and speakers/ HP i cannot find the Speakers and Headphones option that should be in the play back devices i have the IDT High definition Audio CODEC
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC i also have the sound problem while in skype calls my music plays through speakers and skype call sounds through head phones what could be the problem how do i get the Speakers and Headphones
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC option back under my play back devices tab ?

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The screenshot shows what I'd expect to see. Not sure what you mean by "Where is the speaker and headphones option...", they are there, they are the second and third options in your screenshot.

Your screenshot also shows that your internal speakers are the default device(green check mark) to be used for regular audio(music, videos, games, etc) and that the headphones(this is the headphone jack and applies to headphones or external speakers that are connected to the headphone jack) is the default device(green phone) for communication audio such as Skype or similar video chat programs. You can right click on the "Speakers/HP" item and set it as the "Default Communication Device" as well or right click on the "Communication Headphones" device and set it as the "Default Device" to have all audio come through them.

3. dtr76

dtr76 Thread Starter

hm when i try to set the communications head phones as the default device it wont let me o.o

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the error it gives you? What is the exact model of the laptop you have? This is on a label on the bottom of the laptop, an example would be DV6-1362us

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice