1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirtrider, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dirtrider

dirtrider Thread Starter

My computer has onboard sound which has never worked properly. It regularly fails to play midi and wav files correctly though sometimes on the next bootup it will be fine. It also often refuses to play music CDs as well. I have tried reinstalling the drivers from the motherboard's CD which work fine until the next boot or two.

If I install a soundcard is that likely to fix the problem?

Computer is running Windows 98SE fully updated.

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If I were you, I would go to the manufacturer's website (either the motherboard or the sound card manufacturer, depending upon which is available) and download the NEWEST drivers for your sound card before you add another one. If that does not help, a new card may solve the problem.

It might also help to tell us what motherboard, cpu, etc. so we know about your computer.

3. dirtrider

dirtrider Thread Starter

Thank you for your interest.

According to Aida the motherboard details are as follows:

Motherboard:
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
    Motherboard Name: Chaintech 6AIA(2)/6ASA/6ASV/6ATA2 / 2the Max 6XBA / Matsonic MS7142A
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter: Sound Blaster Pro
    Audio Adapter: VIA AC'97 Audio Controller [H]

I think you are right about needing the correct driver but I wouldn't really have a clue where to get the right driver from. I found this page but am unsure where to go from there.

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

5. dirtrider

dirtrider Thread Starter

That's interesting - I would never have thought to look for anything like that but can now see where the number was taken from. Thank you.

Now, just to get this right, I remove the sound controllers from Device Manager, reboot then direct Windows to install the drivers downloaded from that site saved onto the hard drive?

Would it be worth downloading the other drivers as well? Are they just installed over the top of the current drivers?

Many thanks for your assistance.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice