sound problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debodun

When booting, about 20% of the time, my sound doesn't work. If I re-boot, it seems to fix the problem. Sometimes in the middle of Web browsing, the sound also stops functioning. What could be the problem and is there an easy fix. Thanks.

Are you running Win9x?

This may help:

Tap F8 at startup, select Safe Mode and proceed.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and expand the branch Sound, video, etc.

Delete all entries under that branch and restart in Normal Mode letting Windows reinstall the drivers and hopefully solve the problem.

This usually does it, but keep in mind the problem may be hardware related and reinstalling the drivers won't help.

Is it an onboard sound chipset or an add-on sound card?

Do you know its brand name and model?

Good luck.

Zee

debodun

My system is using Windows 98se as an OS. I went to the Device Manager and under Sound, Video and Game Controllers are listed these entries:

TBS Montego II Gameport Interface
TBS Montego II MPU-401 Interface
TBS Montego II PCI Audio
TBS Montego II Sound Blaster Pro Emulation
TBS Montego II Wave Device for Voice Modem

I don't know if it's a chipset or a sound card, but I SUSPECT it's a soundcard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online